1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Nexus 5 - How to force shutdown?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Tasman, May 29, 2016.

1. Tasman

Tasman Lurker
    None

May 28, 2016
    Question:
    Is there any way I can turn off my N5 without touching the screen. Holding the power button just restarts it.

Backstory:
    Hey Guys, so recently my screen on my nexus 5 got cracked. The phone does not respond to any touching , but the lock buttons and volume buttons still work. I can get it to turn on and off etc. (Most of the screen is also black but a part of it is still running and visable). I am under the impressions that the hardware is fine but the screen and touching sensors are broken. I am trying to turn it off because alarms are going off I cant interact with the phone to stop them. How do I turn the phone off?

Thank you.

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Hey @Tasman,

You should be able to press and hold (for about 10 seconds) the volume-up, volume-down, and the power button all at the same time to get your device to shut down (make sure that the N5 is not connected to a USB power source while you're doing this).

After you see the screen go blank, release pressing the keys, otherwise the device will just reboot.

That looks like that does a hard shutdown and won't necessitate any user interaction / confirmation from the screen/display.

Turning the device back on will likely take pressing and holding the power button for about 10 seconds.

#2 scary alien, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Jfalls63 likes this.