1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nexus 5 internet calling

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by IHaveAnAndriod, Sep 23, 2014.

1. IHaveAnAndriod

IHaveAnAndriod Well-Known Member

I know that the nexus 5 came straight from TMobile and doesn't allow their WiFi calling feature.

I was stumbling around in my phone settings and came across something of what appears to be internet calling and I was wondering if I could make calls with this using google voice?

Has anyone came across an internet calling feature that needs to be set up within the phones settings or is it just me?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

If you have a google voice number already, you can use the latest hangouts app (after downloading the hangouts dialer app) to make calls over your data connection

3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Yep, hangouts is the way to go for wifi calling :thumbup:

xdrc45 likes this.
  4. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

Hangouts is the way to go if you have a Google Voice number. The "Internet calling" option is something else though - it's for SIP dialing, and Google Voice does not use SIP.

5. lennydude

lennydude Android Expert

I do not call over the internet with my N5 but I do with my N7 2013wifi only. I am sure it would work with any phone over wifi.

I use GrooVe IP and it works 100%.

Just another option.

6. IHaveAnAndriod

I tried to use hangouts to make calls but it only calls other hangout numbers

7. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast

Actually you can call out to other numbers, besides the ones that are in your Hangouts contacts.
    If you go to the Hangouts Dialer app and select the "dialer/numerical pad" you can then dial out to numbers that are not in your Hangouts contacts like in the pics that I have included -

Attached Files:

8. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast

Here's just another indication that Hangouts with the hangouts dialer works for calls without having to use only your Hangouts contacts -

Attached Files:

IHaveAnAndriod likes this.
  9. IHaveAnAndriod

Oh wow I didn't know I had to install a seperate app to get this feature. I download the app and it works just fine. Can I uninstall the extra app now and will the sailors continue to work?

10. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

You can't uninstall it, since it's a plug-in to Hangouts, not really a separate app. You can however hide it in the app drawer, as its functionality is now contained within Hangouts itself (it adds a third tab for dialing).

IHaveAnAndriod likes this.
  11. IHaveAnAndriod

Thanks I'm so happy. Maybe I won't need to upgrade to a new phone. I get unlimited data and have a dual brand router which should work with the calling good. I love to do the things on my phone that'll make my phone. I have unlimited talking but I love to have a second number with my phone. I mainly use the second number, google voice, when I meet new people and I don't want them to have my main number. Hangouts is beginning to be a livesaver lol. Thanks to all who posted on the topic

12. Incakola

Incakola Android Enthusiast

If your using the hangouts dialer to use Google voice, does the other person who you are calling has to have hangouts and the dialer installed? Tried calling a phone that doesn't have hangouts and the call didn't go through.

13. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

No. The other person doesn't even need a smartphone. Assuming you are in the US, you can call any phone# in the US (including landlines) using the hangouts dialer.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews