1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Nexus 5 power and volume button not working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hamzaknight5, Nov 29, 2014.

1. hamzaknight5

hamzaknight5 Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2014
    My nexus 5 after some random reboots on latest cataclysm rom started to have a problem that power and volume button were not working at all. I have done everything and even flashed it all back to stock with no luck. The power and volume buttons work perfectly in bootloader mode but dont work in recovery or in the rom. Please help.

Advertisement

2. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 21, 2012
    Male
    Great White, MI
    Typically when there is an issue with the power and/or the volume buttons it is a hardware issue. There was a lot of N5's that have had bad/defective power buttons. Haven't heard to much about issues with the volume buttons.

It's odd that they work in bootloader mode but not in OS and recovery.

Have you tried backing everything up (data/documents/music/vids... etc) and then try and perform a factory data rest?
    A lot of times when doing major android OS upgrades (KitKat to Lollipop)
    There can be left over data that can/will cause strange and odd behavior.
    After I flashed the 5.0 factory images, when it booted I had not status bar or navigation bar.
    I when it to TWRP and did a factory data rest and all was good after that... Status bar and navigation bar were back on first boot.

Did the issue develop over time or was it something that happened immediately while on Cataclysm?
    Also after upgrading or downgrading your N5 in succession was the problem immediate or was it over a gradual time that it recurred?

3. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    I doubt it was Cataclysm, which I am using right now. More likely, the random reboots were a symptom of the power button problems such as the power button not fully popping out, which will result in a spontaneous reboot.

xdrc45 likes this.
  4. hamzaknight5

hamzaknight5 Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2014
    I have tried many ROMs and all have the issue. I completely reset my phone to stock and the problem still persists. The random reboots were due to under volting not because of power button being stuck.

5. hamzaknight5

hamzaknight5 Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2014
    Another problem I just found out is that it's not charging and sometimes does not connect with PC.

6. hamzaknight5

hamzaknight5 Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2014
    I solved the issue by first flashing 4.4.4 factory image. The problem was still there so I entered recovery mode and unlike in lollipop's stock recovery, in kitkat's stock recovery the power and volume buttons were working. I then wiped cache and the factory reset and now the power and volume buttons and working perfectly in the os.

jj14x and xdrc45 like this.
  7. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 21, 2012
    Male
    Great White, MI
    Awesome! glad that you got it sorted out and that the factory data reset took care of it and got your power and volume buttons working for you again! ;)

Tags: