• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 5 replacement

D

Deleted User

I fear my beloved N5 is suffering from old age. The digitiser is registering taps I didn't make, and the swipe keyboard is behaving erratically.

Looking for a decent alternative in the £100-£200 bracket. Unlocked, I want to use my existing SIM.

Is it possible to get a quality phone in this range? I haven't looked around for some time.

Assuming you're going for a new one.... (and I know there's always the "Well.. if you added another 50/100/1000 to it you could get a... " so i'm sticking hard to your budget here)

The MotoG5 (and G5+ ) would set the benchmark in that round...

Also the Honor 6x, but not sure how thats being handled for Oreo (honor published a list recently and that wasn't on it.. the situation may just be down to my ignorance)

And the Nokia 5 and 6 would also sit in that price range as well.

and whatever wileyfox are up to as well....

hmmm... have just realised that i haven't really narrowed it down for you that much

Upvote 0
Did the N5 use a mini or a micro sim? I think most of the new phones will use micro, if you want to keep your current sim.
Actually, it's been a while since I've used anything but a nano sim.
sim-sizes.jpg

Upvote 0
I loved owning and using my Nexus 5 and after a few years of having it, I replaced it with a OnePlus 3T and haven't looked back.

OnePlus' OOS is close to stock Android with some useful additions and the specs trump the Nexus 5 all round.

I may go to a Pixel next, but the 3T is good enough to last years as a daily used phone.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Well crunch time has arrived. I'm officially phoneless because my N5 has died.

Thinking of getting an Honor 9 lite. £135 on Amazon. Read some favourable reviews of it. If anyone has any reason why I should not buy this device, speak now or...
If you don't mind sharing your everything with China, go for it. Actually, if you are going to get an Honor, go for the X line. I and my family have had a few and they are decent devices. I had a couple of the Huawei / Honor "Light" phones and they were pretty well underspec'd.

Upvote 0
If you don't mind sharing your everything with China, go for it. Actually, if you are going to get an Honor, go for the X line. I and my family have had a few and they are decent devices. I had a couple of the Huawei / Honor "Light" phones and they were pretty well underspec'd.

I'm already sharing everything with Google. :)
In terms of performance, I don't demand a lot. No heavyweight games. Just want a smooth operation, and the ability to make calls and send text.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones