• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 5 Speculation

ArmageddonX

Android Expert
May 12, 2011
Arizona, USA
My contract is up in September and I want to get a Nexus device. I already have a Nexus 10 but I'd like to get a Nexus 4.

Quick question, do we think the Nexus 5 will be out before the end of the year? I know the Nexus phones have a tradition of being released in November. If so, I will probably wait. If not, I will probably grab a Nexus 4.

Thank you so much!

PS. Off-Topic, if they release an upgraded Nexus 10 I may upgrade that too! I love my Nexus 10 so much!

If the past 3 years are any indication, it will absolutely be out by the end of the year. The last two years, Google has held a press conference to announce/unveil it in the end of October, then release it early to mid November. Who makes it and what it will contain as far as hardware specs go is uncertain though, only rumor.

Nexus S: December 16, 2010
Galaxy Nexus: November 17, 2011
Nexus 4: November 13, 2012

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0
I'm guessing the next big feature for the Nexus line will be LTE. I thought about waiting, but don't have LTE on my carrier anyway, plus my craptivate died....bought the 4 and have no regrets. It's a pretty future-proof phone.
Yes, I have been considering the future of LTE and would like a phone equipped with 4G. That would probably be the only determining factor for me.

I would like to switch to T-Mobile or Verizon. I know that T-Mobile is making Phoenix (where I live) a priority for their new LTE network. However I know that Verizon does not support the Nexus 4. In addition the Nexus 4 does not have LTE, so IDK what to do TBH.

I know I want a Nexus phone because of the superior experience I've have on my Nexus 10. That's the only thing I am sure of.

If the past 3 years are any indication, it will absolutely be out by the end of the year. The last two years, Google has held a press conference to announce/unveil it in the end of October, then release it early to mid November. Who makes it and what it will contain as far as hardware specs go is uncertain though, only rumor.
Thank you so much! I figured this would be the deal with the new release. I think I will wait patiently and weight my options. =)

Upvote 0
I'm guessing the next big feature for the Nexus line will be LTE. I thought about waiting, but don't have LTE on my carrier anyway, plus my craptivate died....bought the 4 and have no regrets. It's a pretty future-proof phone.

The Nexus line has had LTE in the past. The Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and Sprint has LTE, but had crappy battery life and was bastardized from the mainline of Nexus devices.

I would like to switch to T-Mobile or Verizon. I know that T-Mobile is making Phoenix (where I live) a priority for their new LTE network. However I know that Verizon does not support the Nexus 4. In addition the Nexus 4 does not have LTE, so IDK what to do TBH.

I know I want a Nexus phone because of the superior experience I've have on my Nexus 10. That's the only thing I am sure of.

Thank you so much! I figured this would be the deal with the new release. I think I will wait patiently and weight my options. =)

Don't expect Verizon to carry the Nexus 5 either. However, if you're up to rooting and a little software modding, you can pick up T-Mobile LTE on the Nexus 4. That's what I've done. :)

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0
Not only will the N5 be out by the end of the year, I have an idea they may even get the supply sorted this time :D

Be very interesting to see what happens with pricing - hopefully, they'll stick with the N4 pricing model (for those tightwads among us - I'm thinking of me), but there's no guarantee ..

Upvote 0
I'm sure I'd be more than happy with the Nexus 4. My logic is that it'd be silly to upgrade to the Nexus 4 if the Nexus 5 is just a few months away, that's all. Not a slight on the Nexus 4 at all, because it is a very (very) nice phone.

Absolutely!

The N5 is only 4 or 5 months off: I'd definitely hold out to see what it has to offer. In the (rather unlikely) event it doesn't rock your boat, you could always buy an N4 then.

I think my N4 is awesome but that doesn't mean the N5 can't be better - I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if it wasn't.

Upvote 0
Depends on how they seat the screen in the device, i.e. bezel size. If you take a ruler to your N4 you'll see it would support a 5-inch screen with a very minimal bezel, so let's hope they go that route.

.. that is pretty much what the S4 did, so you would have to hope that the N5 would do something similar. There's certainly plenty of space to increase the height of the screen without increasing the width within the exact same size 'shell'.

Have to say, I'm not sure where the N5 = 5" screen comes from. The 4 isn't 4", the 3rd Nexus wasn't 3" .. and of course, the original Nexus didn't have a 1" screen :D Plus, the iPhone 5 doesn't have a 5" screen ..

Also, I'm not sure that an extra fraction of an inch in screen size is going to convince many people to upgrade. I know bigger screen sizes have been one of the few changes in phones over the last couple of years, but surely we've hit the limit on that? You have to hope that the next generation of phones will have something that's actually new. For a change.

Upvote 0
Have to say, I'm not sure where the N5 = 5" screen comes from. The 4 isn't 4", the 3rd Nexus wasn't 3" .. and of course, the original Nexus didn't have a 1" screen :D Plus, the iPhone 5 doesn't have a 5" screen ..

Blowing aside the iPhone chaff (it uses a different numbering system) and considering only the current "Nexus x" models (where "x" is a number) then the "x" is an indicator of the screen size - not exact of course, but 4.-something in the case of the Nexus 4. Similarly the Nexus 7, Nexus 10 relate to the screen size of each device.

Perhaps Google will change its mind and start to use the number as a generation indicator like Apple does with the iPhone, but the new Nexus 7 (still 7, note) tells me that this is unlikely unless the screen size changes.

There again some marketing droid may decide that the existing screen is near enough 5" to call it a Nexus 5 anyway without changing a thing. We'll have to wait and see :)

Upvote 0
Blowing aside the iPhone chaff (it uses a different numbering system) and considering only the current "Nexus x" models (where "x" is a number) then the "x" is an indicator of the screen size - not exact of course, but 4.-something in the case of the Nexus 4. Similarly the Nexus 7, Nexus 10 relate to the screen size of each device.

Perhaps Google will change its mind and start to use the number as a generation indicator like Apple does with the iPhone, but the new Nexus 7 (still 7, note) tells me that this is unlikely unless the screen size changes.

There again some marketing droid may decide that the existing screen is near enough 5" to call it a Nexus 5 anyway without changing a thing. We'll have to wait and see :)

Actually, though admittedly nit picking, only Tablets have had numbering reflecting screen size, while, as pointed out, the phones never have. I'm guessing that if the Nexus 5 is "Nexus 5," it will be a generational number even if it has a 5" screen. ;) :D

They will no doubt have to name the Nexus generation 7 phone to avoid confusion. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
havent been on android forums for months...but after having my nexus 4 since dec 7th, and being rooted with every rom flashed possible and hanging out on XDA, and having unrooting and returing to stock yesterday..id say the Nexus 5 will have a 4.99" screen released on November/December 5th with Android 5.0..nothing special compared to the nexus 4,...theyd have to make it comparible to the LG optimus G2

Upvote 0
Actually, though admittedly nit picking, only Tablets have had numbering reflecting screen size, while, as pointed out, the phones never have. I'm guessing that if the Nexus 5 is "Nexus 5," it will be a generational number even if it has a 5" screen. ;) :D

They will no doubt have to name the Nexus generation 7 phone to avoid confusion. :rolleyes:

I like nit-picking :)

If it is indeed a generational number (like iPhone) I would expect historically to find phones named "Nexus", "Nexus 2" and "Nexus 3" to give credence to that explanation. I don't see them - but I do see a 10(-ish) inch Nexus 10, a 7(-ish) inch Nexus 7 and a 4(-ish) inch Nexus 4, released in that order.

Before the release of the Nexus tablets Nexus phones never used "Nexus N" names; so why choose the name "Nexus 4" for the new Nexus if not to fall in line with the other existing "Nexus N" devices?

Anyway I'm boring even myself now so I'll leave it at that. Time will reveal which theory is the correct one :)

Upvote 0
I like nit-picking :)

If it is indeed a generational number (like iPhone) I would expect historically to find phones named "Nexus", "Nexus 2" and "Nexus 3" to give credence to that explanation. I don't see them - but I do see a 10(-ish) inch Nexus 10, a 7(-ish) inch Nexus 7 and a 4(-ish) inch Nexus 4, released in that order.

Before the release of the Nexus tablets Nexus phones never used "Nexus N" names; so why choose the name "Nexus 4" for the new Nexus if not to fall in line with the other existing "Nexus N" devices?

Anyway I'm boring even myself now so I'll leave it at that. Time will reveal which theory is the correct one :)

The first generation Nexus phone was actually called the "Nexus One"

Upvote 0
The first generation Nexus phone was actually called the "Nexus One"

Perhaps, but that doesn't fit the "Nexus N" template ("Nexus 1" and Nexus One" are completely different names) and in any case there was no "Nexus 2" or "Nexus 3" to justify the assertion that "Nexus 4" is following any existing generational naming convention. But is is following an existing Nexus screen size naming convention...

Sorry, I really will shut up about this now. Until next time ;-)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones