1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Nexus 5x boot loop: possible to recover photos?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Corrinado, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Corrinado

Corrinado Lurker
    None

Oct 10, 2017
    This past weekend my wifes phone froze and is now stuck in a boot loop. occasionally it boots to where it requires a password, but then freezes and restarts. i've tried it all except a factory reset for the following reason (altho this is the 5th nexus 5x that has died on us. my nexus 5x actually died a week ago and i just received a replacement from google. i have never seen a factory reset work): we were on a camping a trip and she took a lot of photos, and because there was no wifi they didn't back up to the cloud...so given that its not completely dead like mine was (google symbol then blank screen) is it possible for me to somehow connect this to a pc and retrieve the photos? many of them were of our 2 y/o son.

Also has anyone had any luck doing a firmware update with this phone (power + vol up?). because it sometimes boot to the pw before freezing i'm hoping theres a way to get this working to get the photos off it.

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Nexus' are very easy to flash. What I would suggest is to flash the factory firmware without the -w option (which wipes the user partition where your images are stored.)

Read through this https://developers.google.com/android/images and come back with any questions. If you follow those instructions, it might get you your image back, but before you do anything, check back because the "flash-all.bat" file in there has the -w option enabled and you're going to have to either flash the files one at a time manually or edit the file. If you just go ahead, you might get your phone back but lose the pictures.

Brian706 likes this.
  3. Corrinado

Corrinado Lurker
    None

Oct 10, 2017
    Thanks for the info. So if I modify the .bat file and just delete the -w, then I should be good to try to flash the phone then?

Also I guess I should ask, does doing this void the warranty? Because I am currently using a replacement phone under warranty and need to send this one back in the next 2 weeks.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Theoretically, yes. But, I've never had much luck using the .bat file. I've always just flashed each line in the batch file manually (without the -w option)

As long as you are flashing the stock firmware, nope. You're warranty will still be good.

5. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    I don't know what version of Android the 5x is currently on, but on my Pixel XL running Oreo, I had to update to the latest platform tools to flash the factory image. Some things beyond the mini-sdk were needed to flash. If you need them you can download them here:

https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html

lunatic59 likes this.