• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 5x performance issue

Mckim_k

Lurker
Nov 21, 2016
So here's the nitty gritty...
   I bought a used Nexus 5x off eBay awhile back, and in the description it said 'phone functions but performance is slower than usual', I figured it wasnt anything big, figured id do a factory reset and all would be well, but that was not the case. I got the phone, immediately flashed custom recovery but kept stock firmware on it. Immediately upon booting into TWRP to perform a factory reset, it told me the phone was encrypted and I thought that might be causing the lag issue, so I un-encrypted it, factory reset and reboot, but right from the boot animation the phone runs really slow, I'm getting a constant 4 frames per second and the screen freezes and blacks out than comes back occasionally. I've done everything from reflashing stock firmware and calling Google and LG which they weren't very helpful in resolving the issue. It's now been four months and the problem still persists, I use it as my primary phone which is a pain in the butt. I've used CPU monitoring apps like CPU z and they all report that the CPU is running at normal speeds but the GPU is constantly locked to the lowest clock speed (180mhz) I find this weird, what could be causing this? The phone runs normal as far as app loading and music playback and sending texts and cellular data, it's just as if the GPU has been disabled because system animations and fps NEVER exceed 4 fps ( it's so slow I can count the frames). Does anyone have any clue what's going on? Is this something to do with the encryption that used to be in place? Is something in the phone broke? Any help would be appreciated, this is a great phone, I love Nexus phones and I don't want to give up on it until I'm sure there is no fixing it. Thank you for taking time to read this post, any help is appreciated.

Reactions: cortega619
The only suggestion that I could make would be to flash a full factory image via fastboot. If that doesn't correct the issue, it's not a software problem - there's something physically wrong with it. In that case, the easiest fix would likely be replacing the whole motherboard.

I did this with no luck, guess I'll just buy another one. Thank you for the quick response and clear answer

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones