• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 6 teardown (IFIXIT)/build quality thread

I got mine on the 12th of December and I am getting this happening, I too suspect expanding battery as the device keeps turning off and failing to get past boot unless plugged in to the charger.

Has anyone that sent theirs back unlocked their bootloader? And if so did you re-lock it and successfully get replaced/repair.

Could someone who hasn't unlocked their bootloader enter bootloader mode and tell me their locked status with status code if any............?

power and volume down together...:)

Upvote 0
why does nobody know the ins and outs of warranty with Motorola?....;(

I agree that the unlocked bootloader shouldn't be a reason to deny a hardware fault through the warranty, but they will try anything I have to assume.......

how could I argue my case in the eventuality I am denied...........?

I have relocked the bootloader, but there are other devices out there that still keep a record of tampering, even the Nexus 5 shows you whether its been tampered with......

Upvote 0
Whoa ... you are just assuming that big bad Motorola is going to go out of their way to find an excuse not to stand behind the products they sell. I have had a good number of warranty claims in my life and for the most part, they have been straightforward and reasonable. For those few times when it is frustrating, you just have to keep at it and eventually you will get satisfaction.

Just place the claim, be clear and firm, but polite and reasonable.

Upvote 0
They really are good. I took pictures of mine showing the battery cover expanding, and took pics from all angles, including front.

2 days later, before I had sent mine back, I dropped it on asphalt. Noticeably scratched / nicked / damaged the upper and lower edges. I called them back, and was told it did not matter - send it in anyway, as that would not have caused the expansion issue in the first place.

Sent mine back with unlocked bootloader as well as a custom recovery. No issues yet.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I've been with IOS for since the IPhone 3G came out - finally decided to upgrade my aging Iphone 4 for a new smart phone, nearly 4 years and I've finally decided this is the phone... The Nexus 6!

Ordered it Tuesday, Had it shipped to my parents home so they can sign for delivery, was excited all day to collect it from their house after work.. then i recieved the email from my parents saying that theyve just checked the phone and the cover is peeling off!

They immediately checked how to return it and posted it back the next day! so I didn't even get to see my new phone!! - my parents are away for the next fortnight, so i strongly doubt the replacement will arrive before they go!

Talk about Jinxed!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My cover started coming loose yesterday. It won't snap back in place -- feels like a squishy bulge under the cover is pushing it up. I think the battery is swelling up. Called T-mobile today, and they were excellent in responding, so I should have a new phone in 2 days then send this one back to them. I hope the new one doesnt have the same problem.

Upvote 0
I just got my Nexus 6 (blue 64gb) two days ago and right out of the box I noticed the power button was not responsive. I was hoping it was just a little stiff but so far it takes multiple tries to get it to respond to wakes and sleep. And even from a complete cold boot it take 10 plus taps (hard) to power it on.

I'm now on the line with Motorola to get the unit replaced. Has anyone had this issue so far or am I lucky?

Upvote 0
So, i just got at Nexus 6, and i have noticed that the charging port seems kinda out of sorts. the MicroUSB connectors will click in on a slight angle, or straight in. It seems that if the connector is pushed straight in it goes further in, but even when it is more shallow, and on an angle, it still typically charges.

Anyone else noticed this?

Thank you

Upvote 0
I got my (first) Nexus 6 last week. I opened the box and thought "The back has come unclipped, I didn't even know that they had removable backs". Sadly, it was immediately apparent that they don't and the back had come unglued before the box was even opened. I tried to push the back back into place but it bulged unhealthily so I gave up and returned it. I didn't even turn it on. It was a very disappointing start to a new and expensive phone.

My new one arrives tomorrow. I really hope the same thing doesn't happen to that.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I got my (first) Nexus 6 last week. I opened the box and thought "The back has come unclipped, I didn't even know that they had removable backs". Sadly, it was immediately apparent that they don't and the back had come unglued before the box was even opened. I tried to push the back back into place but it bulged unhealthily so I gave up and returned it. I didn't even turn it on. It was a very disappointing start to a new and expensive phone.
My new one arrives tomorrow. I really hope the same thing doesn't happen to that.

Please keep us posted on the quality of the new arrival.
It doeth suck to get a less-than-perfect device,especially brand-new,but,it does happen on occasion.
I've had a similar experience with a couple of devices a couple years ago:
One was a Google Play device,no problems w/returning the device & got a brand new replacement.
The other was a B/T device from Moto,same/same,they were pleasant to deal with,a hassle-free experience.
Here's hoping Round 2 goes well for you............. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones