1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Nexus 6 will work on all major US carriers

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by phandroid, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Torrid

Torrid Android Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2010
    I finally was able to get my hands on a Samsung Note Edge today at my local Best Buy, so the ball is squarely in Verizon and Google's hands now. I want to be able to feel and touch a Nexus 6 before I decide to commit to either phone, but if it takes too much longer, Samsung and AT&T will win--not that I really love either of them, but I might start looking at AT&T as the lesser of two evils between them and Verizon.

I mean, my money is ready, let's see a product!

Advertisement

marctronixx likes this.
  2. lennydude

lennydude Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Male
    Derivative Trader - AIG "JK"
    Maine USA
    Don't forget about the long shore man slow down and probable strike that is happening at the California docks.
    A shipment was just delivered at considerable cost through Alaska to help with the promised orders.
    Patience grasshopper :)
    It has less to do with the Nexus and more to do with the dock problem.

3. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    cad monkey
    Texas
    If you have cash, then I would say, either Visa Pre-paid card, or go buy $700 worth of Google Play gift cards. Both will get you there.

4. Karl_in_Chicago

Karl_in_Chicago Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    I wouldn't recommend racking up $700 worth of Google Play gift cards since Google's T's & C's specifically call out devices as items not being eligible for gift card redemption.
    https://play.google.com/intl/ALL_us/about/card-terms.html

But you *could* buy an awful lot of music.

5. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    cad monkey
    Texas
    Good catch. seems odd to exclude phone purchases from gift cards.

6. zephyrnoid

zephyrnoid Lurker
    None

Nov 26, 2012
    Oh they do understand. Being in the USER CENTERED design business, I know they know. They don't care and the NSA definitely doesn't care.
    Enjoy your NSA citizen tracking device :D

7. zipred

zipred Android Expert
    None

Oct 8, 2013
    California USA
    I have the deluxe model. You know, the one that reports to the NSA, FBI, IRS and local authorities in real time. I never leave home without it...ha...ha...ha

8. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Student/Intern
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does anyone know if the NEXUS 6 will be locked if purchased through a carrier or after being activated by the carrier?

I'd like to take advantage of T-Mobile's equipment installment plan, so I don't have to throw down $700 all at once on the Google Play store but I'm worried that if I buy it through them, they'll lock it up when they activate it. AT&T has already confirmed that they're planning to defile the NEXUS 6 with their bloatware, so it wouldn't be surprising for carriers to lock it to their networks too.

9. Sinsear

Sinsear Lurker
    None

Nov 17, 2014
    It shouldn't be. However, some carriers refuse to activate a new nano SIM in a device not purchased from them. Therefore, you'd need an already activated nano SIM to insert into your Nexus 6 from wherever you purchased it from.

10. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

11. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    The moto one should work as well, there are plenty of reports of people activating them on Verizon, even with a new nano sim. The trick is to either:

a. get the nano sim activated in another device, or
    b. get a rep who knows how to just plug in an compatible IMEI to activate the sim when you call. Or you can try bluffing and given them an iPhone IMEI.
    c. potentially, you can also just activate the sim via a sim adapter in your existing phone (YMMV)

In any case, it's not a technical issue. They'll work (at least on Verizon), but you may have to jump through a few hoops. But the good news is that's a one time thing to activate the nano sim.

12. Geese1

Geese1 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, that article just clarified what I already figured: that my Google Play Nexus 6 will work on Verizon, but I'm going to have to cut down my current micro sim in order for it to work unless Verizon mysteriously gets the device into their system by the time I receive my phone.

Not a huge deal, as it looks to be a pretty easy procedure to do, but I'd just rather not have to do the extra step if I didn't have to.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  13. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Student/Intern
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks like AT&T is not only planning to desecrate the Nexus 6 with their bloatware and logo, they're also going to SIM lock it to their network. http://phandroid.com/2014/11/21/make-att-nexus-6-pure/

Hopefully T-Mobile doesn't have plans to deflower a pure Android phone like AT&T.

14. jaj324

jaj324 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2011
    Male
    Making sure people do what they are supposed to do
    Alabama
    The at&t bloat never dl'd onto my N6. I set it up over wi-fi and it remained bloat free. As for the at&t visual voicemail, which I have never considered as bloat, it doesn't work with the N6. The one at&t app that I've always used doesn't work on the Nexus 6 that I purchased from AT&T! Google voice works just as well...

15. halon

halon hakuna matata
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Boilermaker, Norfolk Southern
    Altoona, Pennsylvania
    2 Verizon apps tried to download upon setup. I stopped them.

16. halon

halon hakuna matata
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Altoona, Pennsylvania
    From a Sprint employee: http://www.reddit.com/r/nexus6/comments/2n3kn4/the_sprint_nexus_6_on_verizon_and_tmobile/

We got a few Sprint Nexus 6s in stock a few days ago, and I've been itching to try out my SIM cards. Here's what I found.

Verizon: Verizon nano SIM works. The SIM needs to be already activated on a device that takes nano SIM cards. Phone needed to be activated and rebooted twice, then LTE popped up. Switched to 3G mode and downloaded SignalCheck. Confirmed phone calls and texts both send and receive.

T-Mobile: SIM works out of the box on HSPA. Setting the APN correctly and rebooting gave me LTE. Device got APN settings by itself and offered me a few options. I chose fast.t-mobile.com.

Sprint: Phone is Spark compatible, and according to S4GRU, gets the roaming LTE bands, too. So, that's a big +1 for this phone.

No additional unlock is needed for retail devices. Price is $648, or $27 on EasyPay.

17. CL3nglish

CL3nglish Member
    None

Nov 2, 2014
    Male
    So basically any sim card will work with a Sprint N6?

I'd love some concrete confirmation on this, as I'd go with theirs before AT&T.

18. halon

halon hakuna matata
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Altoona, Pennsylvania
    Seems that way. For more answers ask that guy in the Reddit thread.

19. CL3nglish

CL3nglish Member
    None

Nov 2, 2014
    Male
    Yeah, sounds like Sprint is the way to go but they won't sell you a device unless you have an account. I'm on AT&T.

20. CL3nglish

CL3nglish Member
    None

Nov 2, 2014
    Male
    Bestbuy.com let me order a Sprint N6. Should be by the 29th. Hope this works out.

21. halon

halon hakuna matata
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Altoona, Pennsylvania
    Let us know if it works out for you.

22. kinfolk248

kinfolk248 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Jackson Mississippi
    Has anyone tried to put an sim that wasnt previously activated on Vzw in it to see if it works...?!!!! Like a fresh sim??

23. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    I did, but I had activated that nano sim via a micro sim in my galaxy s4. Worked fine, though I am not sure I'm getting the optimal LTE speeds. Not sure if I have a defective phone or just coincidence or what. Have to do more testing.

24. CL3nglish

CL3nglish Member
    None

Nov 2, 2014
    Male
    Stopped by a T-Mobile just to see if they had a display model out. One of the reps grabbed one from the back for me to play with. It's pretty damn nice.

Had a short conversation about a few things. He claims every carrier device is locked to that carrier, so I should just get one there. I should drop AT&T and come back to them because they're the fastest growing cellular provider and just spent over thirty million expanding.

Yeah, I'll get right on that.....

marctronixx likes this.
  25. Androidcurious

Androidcurious Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I find the current situation with the 6 bizarre. It's had virtually zero availability since launch. I think this is worse than any previous Nexus launch, and this one was supposed to be different. The first Nexus meant for more than just developers and early adopters, the Nexus for consumers. To underline that point, Google is currently offering a $50 credit towards Google Play apps and 6 months of Google Music for free. Generally companies provide those kind of incentives when they want to entice consumers into buying their product. However...there ain't no product to buy. I'll put it this way: this past Black Friday, people were actually able to order the OnePlusOne. No such luck with the Nexus.

I know there have been some issues with unions and such at the docks but I would think something like that would impact all vendors, and I don't think that would impact Google's ability to take orders for the device.

As you read the above please keep in mind this isn't posted out of personal frustration. I own a GN4 which I absolutely love, so it's not like I'm obsessively refreshing the Nexus site waiting for stock.

Tags: