• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 6P and root?

How can i tell if it's unlocked?:thinking:

Ah, when you boot up, you'll not only see an icon/symbol of an unlocked pad lock, but you'll also get a boot warning of "Your device software can't be checked for corruption. Please lock the bootloader. Visit this link on another device: g.co/ABH".

So, if you're not seeing this on boot-up, it's a good bet that it has not been previously unlocked.

Note: unlocking the bootloader will indeed wipe your device--that's a security measure, so be sure that you really want to do so before performing the unlock procedure (i.e., backup your stuff first).

Also, you MUST go into Settings -> Developer options and check/enable OEM unlocking before you'll be allowed to unlock the bootloader.

If you don't see the Developer options row in your Settings screen, you must first go to About phone and tap Build number seven times to make that new row appear in Settings.

The rest of the process will require:
LOL, as I finished typing the above up, I realized that while I consider the above process fairly simple and straightforward, its likely not for others. There is the Nexus Root Toolkit that can/will/does automate the above process (after enabling OEM unlocking)--I typically don't remember to mention it because I do the steps manually (since I want to know the actual steps that are being performed).

Anyway, I'll stop here to let you decide how (and if) you'd like to proceed (there's a bit more of the manual, detailed steps I'd have to list vs. what the NRT will do for you.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Will NRT run on a Mac?

Oh, yeah--sorry, I don't think it will :( [WugFresh has had many requests to make it work for the Mac, but I'm not sure he's ever got there].

Been a day or two since I first read the post, so the Mac thing slipped my mind this morning :).

If he does or can get access to a PC, that's a nice option if you don't want to go the manual route...

Thanks, @Jfalls63 :).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones