1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nexus 6P update to Android 8.0 OREO

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rob, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Rob

Rob Galaxy S20 Ultra
    Administrator Thread Starter

Have you updated your Nexus 6P to Android OREO? How's it going for you so far?

I was already on the Android 8.0 Beta and after this official update, which I got as an OTA yesterday, everything seems to be working perfectly fine. I'm not overly impressed with anything, but definitely satisfied!

2. Best Answer:
    Post #19 by codesplice, Sep 7, 2017 (1 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

I'm still waiting for the release OTA to appear on my DP4-equipped 6P. I'll probably just flash the factory images once those get finalized; I understand that the images posted yesterday are actually several weeks out of date.

4. doniago

doniago Android Enthusiast

Has anyone been having trouble saving pics from camera apps? I'm on the Beta and any camera app says I have no free space.

5. codesplice

Make sure you've granted the Storage permission for that app.

6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

I flashed the update last night, I liked it a lot, but one of the apps I use fairly regularly wasnt quite compatible yet, so I downgraded.

7. doniago

I have. It's any camera app, including Google's own. On a lark I denied all permissions to the stock Camera just to see whether re-granting them would help. No joy; Camera still stays I don't have enough storage space.

#6 doniago, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  8. codesplice

... how much space do you have?

9. doniago

Settings->Storage says 44.26G used of 128G, or 34% used. I have Smart Storage turned on, whatever that means. Photos & videos are 1.9G

10. codesplice

Hmm, that's a new one to me. Can you try using the Google Camera app in Safe Mode to see if the behavior stays the same?

doniago likes this.
  11. doniago

Will give it a shot!

12. steve

steve Developer
    Administrator

Saving pics, no. Taking pics, yes. Since 8.0 I have had blurry pictures and my camera won't focus. Not sure it if is related or not but it sucks. I guess I should do a clean flash and see if it helps. 🤔

13. doniago

^I'm thinking the same thing, but not looking forward to it. OTOH, I have a three-day weekend coming up...

14. steve

steve Developer
    Administrator

I still didn't get the OTA. WTF?

15. codesplice

What carrier are you on?

The OTA image for the 6P has a note that it's "Not for TMO/USCC/Fi," so it's possible that They are still waiting on the carriers to push it to those devices.

(I did get tired of waiting and flashed that factory image on my T-Mobile 6P; no issues to report.)

16. steve

steve Developer
    Administrator

Oh, I am on Fi. Blah. Thanks for reading for me... I lack that sometimes.

codesplice likes this.
  17. Peter Bernsen

Peter Bernsen Lurker

What is TMO/Fi. My provider is KPN. No OTA yet.

18. steve

steve Developer
    Administrator

T-Mobile and Project Fi (Google's cell provider that uses T-Mobile, Spring and Cellular One).

Peter Bernsen likes this.
  19. Peter Bernsen

Peter Bernsen Lurker

Thanks...So wait for my provider to push the ota?

20. codesplice

Yeah, I'd sit tight for another week or so. It seems like every device except for the 6P has had builds approved/pushed to all carriers, so it should be #soon.

steve likes this.
  21. Peter Bernsen

Peter Bernsen Lurker

Thanks, one week.. there is not much to do.:( The next thing is the Pixel2 intro and hoping they ship it also to the Netherlands.

steve and codesplice like this.
  22. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

I had the OTA pushed to my Nexus 6P yesterday, but I prefer to flash the factory image myself. I did so, and also flashed TWRP 3.1.1 as well as rooted with SuperSU 2.82.

The "desktop" is slow to paint, Root Call Blocker Pro and Cerberus re-start once every minute, and this moring a popup message from SuperSU stated "zygote64 has silently been denied superuser status". An "adb shell" as root was unable to find anything named "zygote\*", so I chose to re-flash Android 7.1.2.

I'll never use a .0.0 release again.

23. codesplice

Did you include the data wipe when you flashed the factory image, or did you manually flash the file systems individually and skip userdata.img?

24. doniago

No joy on Safe Mode. I was considering doing an FDR, but if O is going non-beta next week anyhow, no point in doing it right now.

25. codesplice

You might also try disabling the Camera app (Settings > Apps & notifications > App info > Camera > Disable), which will have the pleasant side-effect of removing any updates and restoring the version of the app that was included with the build you're on. You can then re-enable the app to see if that made any difference.

26. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

It's my habit to remove the "-w" fastboot option from flash-all.sh before executing it.

codesplice likes this.

Nexus 6P Forum

The Nexus 6P release date was September 2015. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 12MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 810 processor, and 3450mAh battery.

September 2015
Release Date
Reviews