• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 7 2 - Freezing/Rebooting

D

Deleted User

So, I have had my Nexus 7 2 for about 4 days. I don't use it a ton < 1 hour a day. So far it has rebooted 7-8 times. It will freeze, then wait 5-6 seconds and reboot on its own. It is random and not specific to one app or activity. My wife has the original Nexus 7 and I've only see this happen 3-4 times in the last 5-6 months we've owned it. Anyone else having this issue? Or do I have a bad device?

Hello bud. No i don't...yet..I'm still undecided to be honest with you. I need to see more user feedback before getting one. I want to make sure the new one doesn't suffer from some of the same issues as the first one did.

So. I would probably recommend still doing a factory reset no matter what. At least that way you can rule that out. Hopefully it's just a minor hiccup.

Upvote 0
was listening to music on my nexus (brand new just got it on saterday) and it rebooted on its own and a message came up with the android robot saying no command i held the power button down and rebooted it and its been fine so far strange never had that problem before and i own 2 kindle fire tablets and have never had that issue

Upvote 0
The only thing about researching the 2013 Nexus 7 here is all you will see is problems, while this is a small minority of the new Nexus' out there. Keep that in mind, if you will.

Here's something to think about:

Review: The new Nexus 7 is the best 7-inch tablet that money can buy

Review: The new Nexus 7 is the best 7-inch tablet that money can buy | TechHive

The 2013 Nexus 7 is no longer a budget tablet, but a premium 7 inch tablet.

Take care!

Upvote 0
Folks, I found that Google has turned off GPS location access in the system update. I tried using Google map and my location cannot be shown. I have to use network location to get my location.

This means they know there is a bug and fudged a fix.

I think you are onto something. Thanks to both members who shared about turning off location/GPS. Since turning off GPS my 2nd gen Nexus 7 has not crashed and rebooted.

Upvote 0
I have had very frequent freezing and apps shutting down (back to mainpage) for the last few days. I tried system reboot and turning off the location tracker in system settings, but still have these problems. Any advice? I got this last December. These problems have been there, to the point where I wouldn't get this again, but never this frequent.

Upvote 0
An update to my original post. I swapped my 32gb for a 16gb one, and have been having rebooting problems on this one, so today I decided to do a reset. It's in the process of reinstalling all my apps. (love, love, LOVE this feature) but I noticed that there's a system update downloaded and ready to be installed. 2 questions:

1) I wonder if this update is the latest one to roll out? I had already run an update when I first got the replacement, so I think that's what this must be.

2) Should I pause the download of all my apps to install said update?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones