• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nexus 7 2012 - Recently Rooted - Problems

D

Deleted User

Hi, I'm new to rooting. But found Nexus Root Toolkit v2.1.0 and it was a breeze to unlock, root and custom ROM installed. I tried a few ROMs but since I installed Minimal OS, I've not been able to connect my tablet to my pc to install another ROM or the GApps, which are sorely missing.
I've been on for hours trying to sort this out: updating drivers, turning on/off, trying different usb cables/ports, etc but to no available. I'm desperate now for a solution. This Minimal OS is really too minimal and I need a different ROM installed.
I previously had Android 5.1.1 installed, and due to it's incredible slowness, I need to change. So rooting was the way. Or so I thought. Unless I can get this sorted out I'm losing faith in rooting. But I guess I've got no choice right now.
I need help!
Scott

You install roms from your device, in recovery. Twrp recovery is preferred.
Just download a custom rom right to your device (gapps package as well) and flash both.
I would flash stock and start fresh. Just my opinion.

In wugs toolkit, select the flash stock + unroot option. Choose the newest build and try that. That will also update your bootloader.

If you can't get the toolkit to recognize the tablet, boot into bootloader mode (from powered off, hold power+volume down) then, in the toolkit, select the soft bricked option in the flash stock+unroot section. It will be recognized in fastboot mode.

One more thing, this would do much better in the root section for the 2012 nexus 7. Not in the regular section for the 2013 model. They are very different devices. So I'm going to go ahead and move it over there for you.
Any other troubles, just ask. I'll do my best to help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones