• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 7 2013 5.0 Rollout

I manually downloaded and pushed the update via adb. It literally took about half an hour to update the device. If you haven't done it before just wait. 5.0 isn't that game changing in my experience. Yes, I get wanting to have the latest and greatest...I have to have it too which is why I went to the trouble. But having done it, there's not that much that has changed. After all, google already lollipopped many of the major apps anyway. The only difference to me is the multi user mode which is really nice. Now my wife can open her own gmail on the tablet instead of having to log into the browser version.
It seems like a big difference to me. Mostly visual, but big nonetheless.

Upvote 0
OK, this is what I got from my antivirus when installing wugfresh root kit from his site from his main download link that was in green. Again, this was from his site and not a third party site. It's saying a Trojan. I know there are programs out there that are clean that are not considered Trojans and are displaying a false alarm, but before I proceed I would like some clarification on this. I'm going to look up this particular Trojan to see what it is.

Attachments

• 1416281763635.jpg
    1416281763635.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
So just because it's saying that it may be a Trojan, therefore keeping me safe from supposed malware and viruses, it's worthless? Wow, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were the end all be all of antivirus knowledge. I stand corrected. Since you know everything i must comply. All those glowing reviews from Amazon, best buy, and tech sites must be totally wrong. I'm glad I found the one person who is most knowledgeable.

Upvote 0
OK, this is what I got from my antivirus when installing wugfresh root kit from his site from his main download link that was in green. Again, this was from his site and not a third party site. It's saying a Trojan. I know there are programs out there that are clean that are not considered Trojans and are displaying a false alarm, but before I proceed I would like some clarification on this. I'm going to look up this particular Trojan to see what it is.

Its not a virus. It uses various exploits to issue automated adb and fastboot commands. You really think thousands of people (a large number of which are tech experts) knowingly installed a virus? Not likely. But don't use it if you don't trust it. I personally use it all the time. With it you can temporary boot custom recovery to make backups without rooting if you want. Also it will root for you if you want. Keep in mind you don't have to flash the factory image, with wugs you can actually sideload the ota update. But if you never unlocked your boot loader you will have to do that. The toolkit will do it for you. But remember unlocking your boot loader will wipe your tablet (its a security feature). I believe there is an app that does it without wiping. Ez boot unlocked or something like that.

Upvote 0
Well I might try it again tomorrow. I thought I read that Kitkat and above have not been rooted successfully yet and people were offering a reward to anyone who makes a stable root? And what use is rooting? Doesn't it make apps not work or something. I've never jailbroken or rooted my devices because it voids the warranty they say and because I've heard of people bricking their devices. I might try it out if it's truly worth it.

Upvote 0
Well I might try it again tomorrow. I thought I read that Kitkat and above have not been rooted successfully yet and people were offering a reward to anyone who makes a stable root? And what use is rooting? Doesn't it make apps not work or something. I've never jailbroken or rooted my devices because it voids the warranty they say and because I've heard of people bricking their devices. I might try it out if it's truly worth it.

Simply put - Root is administrator access to the device. It gives you complete control of the software. It won't break apps, and apps running with root access have a lot of functionality opened up to them that otherwise wouldn't be possible. Custom ROM's allow more convenience/customization, custom kernels can increase battery life or performance, and a custom recovery can allow you to fully backup or restore your device at any time.

Frankly, I won't own a device I can't root :D

Nexus devices always have root available. Fear of not being able to root is simply not an issue for us. :D. Phones on certain carriers (looking at you Verizon & ATT) are sometimes not rootable because they have a locked down bootloader. In those scenarios developers need to find security exploits to gain root access. Bounties are sometimes raised for this scenario. Google gives us all the tools we need to unlock the bootloader, as well as completely restore the device in the event things go horribly wrong.

Also, rooting doesn't void a warranty through google as nexus devices are developer devices. They kind of expect us to tinker with it ;)

Upvote 0
Thank you for the information Rxpert. It sounds great and it looks like I'll give it another go tomorrow. I'm going to completely wipe the device and install lolly and root it. So, when I get that Trojan.dropper.gen again I should just disregard it and install anyways? Thank you for the information.

Upvote 0

If you don't know what root is, don't do it. Its for advanced users. Rooting doesn't brick, what you do with root can brick if you don't know what you're doing.

Upvote 0
What Madbat said. I used to be a rooting fool, but I never bother rooting anymore. For the vast majority of users rooting is not needed or desirable. Unless there's something you really need to do and rooting is the only was to do it, don't bother rooting. Likely there's nothing you really need root to do.

Rooting does carry some risk. A mistake can happen to anyone no matter how careful. And remember, Android is basically Linux and the #1 rule of Linux security is never, ever run as root unless absolutely necessary.

Upvote 0
So rooting is only for the super elite hardcore super users is what you're saying. Yet that's all I read in forums. "I'm rooted this" and "I'm rooted that." It's kind of like those people saying "it's not for you." But you all who are rooted must have learned from somewhere to be rooted. I don't think this should be treated as some super elite exclusive club, because you guys were ignorant of root as well at one point. I appreciate the wise counsel from you, but I'm never going to learn unless I try. And I just turned on my tablet which has had wifi on all night and still it hasn't snagged lollipop. I'm guessing the only way to do this is to use that wugfresh thing. I know it's only been out a short time and I've taken it into account that Google is being cautious as it is a brand new build.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
No, I would like to root ad I would like to tinker with my device. I will use wugfresh to get 5.0 and root because it offers that with the update in the program. Might as well kill two birds with one stone. The point is, I come across this all the time. People who do things they tell others not to do. "It's for advanced users." That's fine and all, but what made you advanced? Were they made "advanced" the moment of rooting? No, I'm sure they weren't advanced before rooting because they certainly have never done it before. Now, if you want to say I shouldn't go try to fix a car because it's only for those who know what they are doing, that's a correct assumption. Doesn't mean I can't go on Google, submit what's wrong, then get a detailed video on how to fix it, but I shouldn't tinker with a vehicles engine unless I know what I'm doing. I'm sure these advanced users didn't install a root kit and knew exactly what they were doing and exactly what was happening at the time of first root. I have a friend who tells me these things. "Oh, this game is not for you. Too advanced." yet when I go to his house he has Google open with walkthru's where to find all the special loot and special places so he can platinum the game! Only for advanced people, huh? OK friend. OK. Forgive me for being sarcastic and upset over this, but it really makes me feel like I'm being called a country bumpkin because I've never done something before. You all can't tell me you were immediately advanced users of anything you tried for the first time, can you? Computers. Tablets. Rooting. Jaikbreaking. Coding. Etc. I'm sure it was trial and error for you as well as it may be for me.

Upvote 0
I didn't even mean to root the first time I came to these forums Idontreallyknowhowmany years ago. My intention was to download the tools needed, read up, and try it sometime when I had more time.

30 minutes later I was rooted.

In the time since I've screwed up along the way many times. People here helped me. I try to give that help back whenever I can.

You don't need to be a tech wiz to root, and wanting to try it just to see what its about is a completely fine reason. You can go down the rabbit hole as deep as you'd like. From simply having root to be able to run root only apps all the way to replacing the OS with a custom build of android.

To the security concerns of only running as root when absolutely necessary - apps still have to ask your permission to run as root. As a result you obviously don't want to grant anything root if you don't know why its asking for it. There is literally a popup that asks if you want to grant "X" app root access, and there are a variety of options for doing so - only once, for the next 15 minutes, or forever.

The risks involved in rooting a nexus are very small, and as I mentioned before google gives us everything we need to get back to 100% stock via the factory image. Rooting also gives you the ability to completely restore the phone to a prior backup if you accidently do something you didn't mean to do.

Root is the ability to have control over your device, and IMO thats enough of a reason for me to have it.

Upvote 0
Thank you for clearing it up for me. It sounds like something for me after all. I've been tinkering with things all my life. Taking apart objects, putting them back together. Taking laptops apart, putting them back together. Computers. Devices. Electronics. Stuff I really enjoy. I do want control over my device. I also know root allows you to delete bloatware too, but should only remove if it's not going to make the system go all haywire. I will read the instructions and then follow them slowly so as to not mess up. If I do, then I'll try again. Thank you again :)

Upvote 0
I wasn't saying anything about elite. You do see guide by my title for a reason. I'm here to guide. Do a lot of reading before you root. I read through everything I could here and on XDA for weeks before attempting my first root. Only advice I have is read, read, read and read some more. When you feel like its worth it, do it. Nexus is a developer device and quite hard to truly brick. New young people getting interested is where the development community is born.
But you are starting to come off as a kid looking to pick an argument. That's not why this forum exists. Its for all of us to come together and share ideas and help each other. No one here is daring you to root or not. When your ready, try it. You can always unroot just as easy. If your only reason is to remove bloat, um, this is a nexus. It has no bloat. And one of the big reasons to root is xposed framework, which doesn't work on lollipop. And all of the best custom Roms for flo (our nexus' nickname) are on KitKat. So like I said, read first. Know your reasons and do your homework and you'll be just fine.
And those of us that have been doing this for a while don't need root kits. Just SDK and a computer, but we all have to start somewhere.
Good luck bro! Keep learning and you'll be a pro in no time. And when you are ,(sooner than you think) come back and help those getting started.

Upvote 0
MY Nexus 7 (2013) received and downloaded the 5.0 update, yet once the device restarted, it still says that it has Version 4.4.4 Upon trying to force another system update, it says I have the latest version 4.4.4 (not 5.0).

I have NOT rooted this device so I don't know what is going on. Are there any apps that may be preventing the update? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Upvote 0
MY Nexus 7 (2013) received and downloaded the 5.0 update, yet once the device restarted, it still says that it has Version 4.4.4 Upon trying to force another system update, it says I have the latest version 4.4.4 (not 5.0).

I have NOT rooted this device so I don't know what is going on. Are there any apps that may be preventing the update? Any thoughts?

Thanks
That's strange. Did the tablet go through the entire update process? Or did it just reboot after the prompt to update?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones