• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 7 2013 5.0 Rollout

Well this sounds like the problem.
Some people who have installed the Android Lollipop developer preview on their Nexus 5 have taken to the internet with some pretty disturbing information. It looks as though there is a pretty serious bug in the software that is causing peoples devices to randomly wake up when connected to WiFi, an issue that has the potential to cause some serious battery drain issues, and that

Upvote 0
I'm betting that the cell versions have to get all the other crap added that goes with each carrier (bloatware, etc). Just my .02 worth.

I doubt that's the case. Nexus 7 LTE models didn't come with any carrier bloat.

Even in the case of the Nexus 6 with AT&T, the phone does not come with bloat. It is installed automatically after the phone is activated.

I have no idea why Google is being such a tease. To be frank, it's really pissing me off. Here, I paid the premium for their top-of-the-line N7 model, and I'm assed-out waiting for them to release the image on their whim.

I'm a bit disgusted. Might be time to go Surface Pro.

Upvote 0
I haven't gotten it yet. I tried forcing the update. Downloaded right file and sdk baloney and couldn't make heads or tails of the help websites and ended up deleting both files. Ridiculous how many hoops android makes you jump through before you can get an uodate. Apple knows what it's doing a lot better. Download iOS you want, plug in your device, right click while holding down shift button, voila! updated to the new iOS. Simple. Why can't android simplify things. I think I'm going to go back to Apple. Really tired of all this garbage. Several weeks to get my lollipop ota!? Never mind, I can have iOS now.

Upvote 0
I haven't gotten it yet. I tried forcing the update. Downloaded right file and sdk baloney and couldn't make heads or tails of the help websites and ended up deleting both files. Ridiculous how many hoops android makes you jump through before you can get an uodate. Apple knows what it's doing a lot better. Download iOS you want, plug in your device, right click while holding down shift button, voila! updated to the new iOS. Simple. Why can't android simplify things. I think I'm going to go back to Apple. Really tired of all this garbage. Several weeks to get my lollipop ota!? Never mind, I can have iOS now.

Later.

Upvote 0

Relax, the update just came out 2 days ago. You will get it. With iOS you need iTunes. With nexus all you need is wugfresh nexus root toolkit. Then you just click flash.
Google doesn't make you jump through any hoops, you are attempting a developer action. SDK is the android developers kit. But flashing a factory image is simple.
1. Download SDK
2. Download factory image and extract it in the same folder as the platform tools in the SDK.
3. Unlock boot loader by going to platform tools folder and opening a command window (shift + right click) and type OEM unlock. (Seriously that easy)
4. Double click the flash all batch file in the factory image and it does the rest.
That's it. Unlock boot loader, flash factory image. But it can be scary the first time. So as am easy alternative, get wugfresh nrt and let it flash it for you. It even downloads all needed files by itself. You click "flash stock" after picking the 5.0 lollipop build when asked what your build is. It will even root it for you if you want. Easy peasy.
Link: wugs nexus toolkit

Upvote 0

Several weeks? Official OTAs just started rolling out 5 days ago...but feel free to go back to walled garden of iOS and its emasculated UI. Cheers. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Thank you for the info, madbat. I'll consider that alternative. Seems easier than Apple through wugfresh. The reason I would like to flash instead of wait is over would like to have a clean install to stock. As if I pulled my device from the box. I figure for such a big update I'll go back to factory.

Upvote 0
And Starkraving, the websites said that the ota will take about several weeks to go to all devices. Not my words, the websites words. They all say the same things. And to the person that said I will get all the bugs with Apple. I have yet to encounter any on my iPad 3 with iOS 8.1 more than I can say for Kitkat. Ever hear of the "can't hang up when you have a busy signal when calling someone" bug? Still not fixed by Motorola, i.e. Google. That's just one bug out of many I've experienced with kitkat alone. Just because you hate apple doesn't make android much better. And to the other person, you don't have to listen to the U2 album if you don't want and you can hide it if you don't want to see something totally free from a group that is actually thinking about its fans rather than dollar signs. I can't believe you're complaining over getting something free from Apple and U2. That's like someone giving you free groceries and you complaining about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones