1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Nexus 7 2013 Battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Simple_fear85, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Simple_fear85

None
    I will be picking up a nexus 7 32g 2013 model tomorrow. Whats available for batteries? are they removable?

Advertisement

2. RonSH

RonSH Member
    None

Sep 30, 2013
    Male
    Retired
    Norway
    Batteries are basically not removable. Sealed case needs to be separated and this is not for the non tech user though there are instructions on the web. Sorry I have forgottom where I found them!
    Good success with your purchase ... its a great product.
    Ron

3. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    If concerned about battery life than you should consider a portable power pack to charge it.

Not just any portable power station will do, the N7 has a battery just north of 4k mAh, if you buy that 10 dollar energizer power station from the drugstore than you will be seriously disappointed.

You need a power station that is 5000mAh or larger with a 2.1a USB port in order to actually charge the N7 else you will have 2 dead devices sitting on your lap instead of Simpsons tapped out goodness..

This is a good start for 40 bucks - Amazon.com: IOGEAR GMP7K GearPower 7000mAh Capacity Mobile Power Station for Smartphones/Tablets/Mobile Devices - Retail Packaging - White: Cell Phones & Accessories

The higher the mAh rating of the power station the more charges you will get out of it, and a 2.1a USB port is an absolute must.

4. Simple_fear85

None
    are there even usb ports on this nexus?

5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    He's describing the USB port on the power station;)

6. RonSH

RonSH Member
    None

Sep 30, 2013
    Male
    Retired
    Norway
    Indeed, there is a mini USB port at the bottom of tablet also used for charging.

7. Simple_fear85

None
    *Slaps forhead* Now I understand that its the mini usb and I can use the cord that comes with it to plug into the power stations. thanks guys...sorry had a slight brain fart lol.

8. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    While on the topic of USB..

The Nexus 7 has USB host support, that is if you plug in a compliant USB device the N7 will recognize the device and make use of it. Keyboards, mice, and if you decide to root you can also connect removable storage such as thumb drives using an app called StickMount.

In order to do so you need a OTG (On The Go) cable readily available from more and more dedicated electronics retailers or online from a site like Amazon.

I highly suggest you select a OTG cable that has a thinner more flexible cable so you dont unnecessarily stress the micro usb port of the N7.

Keep in mind the power the Nexus can supply via USB is limited but with the proper OTG cable you can provide a full size USB port and power to both the Nexus and the USB device connected using a special cable like this one -

Amazon.com: Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Nexus 7 Galaxy S III & Galaxy Nexus: Electronics

That cable allows you to run a compact removable hard drive like the WD Passport series of drives (I love them and own 3) that do not require a separate power adapter as they draw all their power from the USB port.

By connecting the external drive and the N7 factory charger to the same dongle you can power everything and recharge the N7 at the same time, very handy if you have some extended media playing or transfer tasks.

tukatz likes this.
  9. tukatz

tukatz Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    Retired
    Lakewood, WA
    Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for a recommendation for an OTG cable. Just ordered one. Now I need a recommendation for a memory card reader that can read compact flash, Sony memory stick, and SD cards, including HC, and can be plugged into the OTG cable.

10. desmofan

desmofan Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 14, 2009
  11. TheAmazingDave

TheAmazingDave Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408
    I have a smaller, rebranded version of that; the "SoundLogic XT" 5600 mAh pack. It works fantastic for backup power. I got it free at CVS with extrabucks, but was listed at $20.

It was rated at 1 amp output, but my handy USB ammeter shows it supplies the N7 with 1.3 amps, although the voltage dips when it spikes. Still, at 1k mAh, that's plenty to run the device for a bit, if not slowly charge it as well.