1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Nexus 7 charging is extremely (and annoyingly) SLOW

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thenomad, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Chris Demeter

Chris Demeter Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2015
    Male
    I had read that this part can go bad and cause the slow charging. I went on eBay and found a replacement part for $16 (search for "USB Power Charger Charging Port Flex Cable for Asus Google Nexus 7 1st 2012"). I should have tried your suggestion of checking to see if the ribbon cable was loose first, but when I removed the part, I could tell that it was firmly attached. After replacing the port, my Nexus 7 will now recharge. The battery app I have says it is only charging at about 800mA, but before I replaced the part it was charging at about 30mA (yes thirty!) and was taking more than a whole day to recharge. Now it is recharging about 20% an hour which is MUCH better. It took about 10-15 minutes to replace.

Advertisement

#76 Chris Demeter, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. systemofadown

systemofadown Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    North Carolina
    I was on the verge of picking up the same part as you did. Just recently I replaced the dead motherboard on mine with a used one off ebay (all plug & play which was nice). My N7 was charging in the negatives.

Before I purchased a new (to me) USB charging port I had tried every possible fix known to man regarding the slow to no charging scenario. Fortunately I decided to remove the speaker's just to see what the USB ribbon cable looked like behind there. I had to reconnect it twice but the second time it took & continues to take a fast charge. It seems to be just short of enough ribbon cable once you connect it & then tighten the screws back down. I think this helps pull it apart some when reinstalling the screws. Which causes a charging problem.
    So far my N7 is still taking a fast charge.

3. Chris Demeter

Chris Demeter Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2015
    Male
    I believe the wear and tear of plugging and unplugging the usb/charging cable damages the connector and may also gradually pull the connection away from the ribbon cable. You will also read about people who simply cleaned the connection pins with alcohol also resolved their issues.