• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 7 does not see my phone's tethered wifi

WHOA here ... one of us is very confused as to what needs to run on what for tethering.

FoxFi runs on the PHONE and turns it into a mobile hotspot. When I installed it (no a DroidX), I also installed the extra part that MAY not have been required. I gave the FoxFi application a name and password of my choosing.

Once that is done to the PHONE, "any" WiFi device should be able to get internet connectivity by using that WiFi connection. There is no special software running on my N7 nor old Dell notebook, and both connect to it fine. My Verizon plan forbids tethering without a $30/month fee, so all I've done is tested.

It's my Galaxy Nexus that's running FoxFi.

Upvote 0
WHOA here ... one of us is very confused as to what needs to run on what for tethering.

FoxFi runs on the PHONE and turns it into a mobile hotspot. When I installed it (no a DroidX), I also installed the extra part that MAY not have been required. I gave the FoxFi application a name and password of my choosing.

Once that is done to the PHONE, "any" WiFi device should be able to get internet connectivity by using that WiFi connection. There is no special software running on my N7 nor old Dell notebook, and both connect to it fine. My Verizon plan forbids tethering without a $30/month fee, so all I've done is tested.

Whoa here, someone's confused as to what a galaxy nexus is xD

Upvote 0
Help with tethering?

Hi - just got N7 and trying to tether to Samsung Galaxy S2 (running ICS). The N7 finds the android hotspot and connects to it but when i try to go through to web page I get error message (not found / reload / some stuff about DNS settings?)
I have tethered my laptop before now so its not a network issue..
Do I need a tethering app - some say you do, others seem not to need?

Being able to tether is a big deal on a non 3G device so dead keen to get this sorted and appreciate any advice....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones