• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 7 HD/Replacement?

cgfw201

Jul 25, 2012
Purchased a N7 and swiftly got rid of it due to lack of apps and lack of TV shows in the UK a couple of months ago.

Woes detailed here: http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/650483-reassure-me-really-disappointed-n7.html

I've got a work iPad Mini and absolutely love it.

In a couple of months time I'm going to have to decide between an iPad Mini Retina, which I assume they are releasing in March, and the new N7.

Just wanted to check
- Is there any info about the successor to the N7 out yet?
- Are TV shows going to be available in the UK via the Play Store over the next couple of months?
- Does the N7 have an acceptable number of optimised apps yet? Even Twitter was just a stretched version of the phone app in November. And there was no Telegraph or Guardian app.

Just wanted to check
- Is there any info about the successor to the N7 out yet?

Nope

- Are TV shows going to be available in the UK via the Play Store over the next couple of months?

BBC iPlayer is now available and works perfectly well with the Nexus 7 and other Jelly Bean devices. 4oD is due a major upgrade so a Jelly Bean compatible app should be available soon(ish). The Sky applications should all work already. I've heard nothing regarding flash free versions of ITV Player and Five Catchup.

Caveat: If it's not out and working already, treat it as speculation, no matter how solid the announcements are :).

- Does the N7 have an acceptable number of optimised apps yet? Even Twitter was just a stretched version of the phone app in November. And there was no Telegraph or Guardian app.

For Twitter, I use Tweetcaster. The tablet interface is great. The situation with tablet oriented apps vs stretched phone apps is improving (Tapatalk HD is nice if you browse a lot of forums like this one, for example).

For the papers, I use Google Currents. It's a nice, tablet optimised interface though nothing like as nice as the superb, Apple NewsStand version of the Guardian. Currents and all its content is presently free.

Upvote 0
Think I'll leave it now for a couple more months and see what develops.

By TV shows I mainly meant the ability to download series like you can on iTunes. Sky Go + iPlayer is fine. Lack of ITV is an issue for sport.

Newspapers still lagging way behind. The Guardian + Telegraph on iPad are so good and no Nexus 7 equivalent at the moment. Currents is woeful in comparison.

Upvote 0
I'm finding apps for the guardian and telegraph in the play store. But I'm not trying to sway you, hold off if you feel that's best.

They are there but they are just up scaled phone news apps, not a patch on the Apple Newsstand equivalents. The Telegraph has photo galleries, crosswords, letters pages and all the content of the paper on their Newsstand app, as to the Guardian, Times and Indy.

Until this situation is improved on the Play Store I can't justify having and android tablet, which is annoying as I really want to like them!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones