• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 7 is getting power slammed this Fall!

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
Bam!

Android-Powered Archos GamePad Looks Incredibly Awesome, For an Archos Device – Droid Life

The reality though:

1. Archos build quality can be dubious
2. Display quality usually is weak
3. Usually late to get product into channels

Besides that, IF Archos contradicts this normal trend, this device for $250 would rock for gamers, and it will have a micro sd and full OTG support, out of box.

Sure, the chances of an Archos trend buster of usual misses is up there with the Cubs winning a world series, but IF they did- POWER SLAM! :D;):):rolleyes::)

I have an Archos 605 wifi model that still works pretty well. The company is notorious for dropping support on a product as soon as a new one comes out. Promised software updates never appeared for mine and I definitely felt completely abandoned.

I have one of those too, but they are actually pretty good at supporting Android (their main OS focus now). The issue for me and the 605 is the AWFUL sound quality from 3.5mm. Worst device I have ever owned for sound quality as far as music. Good for video though.

Upvote 0
Because that would not be the Archos way. They ARE French, you know.

I thought at first it was an attachment, but discovered it is not. I agree that a modular design would be better.

Still, IF the display is good and $250 or less, I can see me buying this. The N7 has a big side bezel, so this device does not seem much bigger.

Upvote 0
For me the great thing about the N7 is how versatile it is. I'm trying to figure out how I'd balance the Archos on my lap to read. I understand that it's nearly a dedicated gaming device but wouldn't a Sony Vita, for example, something designed from the ground up as a gaming device, be better? I wonder if the Archos dohickey wouldn't be the worst of both worlds.

Guess I won't know for sure until I hold one.

Upvote 0
Meant to be a joke post considering Archos track record. Also is worth a gamers consideration in relation to the N7, if Archos did not screw it up like they normally do.

Dislike is a more accurate word than hate, but that would change if Google would get off their cloud and add full OTG support- without the need to root.

Upvote 0
Your... 5 year old... has a Nexus 7??? Was your local GameStop out of cheap, used Gameboys?

From experience of friend's pre-school children I'd say a Nexus 7 or similar is fine. I've seen a two year old using an iPad so I think we underestimate how quickly children learn these things and it's good to be used to technology at an early age. My ten year old niece is an avid reader with a variety of electronic devices and real books, so getting them used to tablets isn't dooming them to a lifetime of wasted hours on Facebook.

A Nexus 7 might seem a bit extravagant for a pre-schooler, but if you get the 8GB version and a tough case (!!!) it's not that expensive compared to just clothing and feeding the little darlings.

Upvote 0
Your... 5 year old... has a Nexus 7??? Was your local GameStop out of cheap, used Gameboys?

What's a gameboy cost? $150 plus $25 a game. Tiny screens, little to no educational content. With the N7 it was $200 less the $25 credit and the free $10 so the final cost was around $165. Add to that access to my inventory of 300+ apps in my library and it is really a no brainer.

To his credit, he had been using my retired OG Droid for over a year without incident and was very careful with it. Also, I am not naive, as I have pin locked all app purchases and in-app purchased so I don't have to worry about surprises. If I find something he would like I push it to his device from the web Play store.

I'm not saying this is the right solution for all 5yr olds, but it for mine.

Upvote 0
Pup, I thought it was a pretty good joke. ;)
Device looks cool in the mock up picture, but I'm not really a mobile gamer so it doesn't have much draw for me. We mostly use the N7 for TT, Twitter, and reading so the gaming controls would just get in the way. For those not wanting a PSP or 3DS, this seems like a nice alternative.

Upvote 0

Pup, I thought it was a pretty good joke. ;)
Device looks cool in the mock up picture, but I'm not really a mobile gamer so it doesn't have much draw for me. We mostly use the N7 for TT, Twitter, and reading so the gaming controls would just get in the way. For those not wanting a PSP or 3DS, this seems like a nice alternative.

Yeah, I should have worded more carefully. I wasn't at all offended. Just explaining my logic. Sorry En4cer if you misread my reply.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones