• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 7 laggy after 4.2.2 update

Does that erase my content and apps? I know nothing, lol. Is there a special process?

Yes, though you can simply reinstall the apps from the Play Store. You should copy off any content you want to keep e.g. hook the N7 up to your PC with a USB cable and copy everything off. Actually it's good practice to do this sort of backup anyway as you never know when you'll break or lose the N7.

Do do a factory reset go to Settings, Backup and Reset, Factory Data Reset. After the tablet reboots it will go through the same initial setup that it did when you first got it.

You can do an online backup from Settings, Backup and Reset but I'm not a big fan of this because the restore is indiscriminate i.e. it just restores everything that was originally present. That means it might restore whatever is causing the problem. I generally use a factory reset as an opportunity to get rid of all the junk that inevitably accumulates as you use the tablet.

Reactions: sushifor5
Upvote 0
I'm having these issues too. Just now my nexus 7 told me the UI had crashed when I tried to switch app into adobe reader. After doing that twice it then reset my background to the default one!! I rebooted and it had still forgotten it. A factory reset should not be the solution - I use this tablet a lot and font have time to be reinstalling everything!

The home screen loads VERY slowly and seems to be constantly rebuilding it. More and more unhappy with the n7 at the minute - first it was the slow keyboard (which still happens from time to time) now the whole damn thing is crashing on me.

Upvote 0
OK, dumb question... is restore same as reset... And backup is by copying our info to computer?

Restore/reset: the critical phrase is "to factory settings", and the simplest way to do that is use the "Factory data reset" option under "Backup & reset" in the settings menu - where you'll also the Google backup and restore settings.

Note that this will not back up your data, it backs up only data used by the apps themselves. You will need to do your own backup of any personal stuff to another computer or cloud storage (like Google Drive, say).

Upvote 0
Some have claimed that clearing the cache also restores the tab back to smooth operations.

Turn Nexus off...

Turn Nexus on and hold power and volume down until it shows an android and menu.

Use the volume buttons to get to restore. press power to select.

When the android with the red exclamation point shows, press and hold power and then quick press the volume up. it then should display another menu. select clear cache and then reboot.

Lego

Upvote 0
I've also noticed some performance issues. It's not the visual lag that bothers me really. I also came to notice that I get small, sporadic *hickups* like CPU cant handle do load, while playing music. This happens when I surf the net more intensively or just click around, but nothing too intense that a 4 core cpu wouldn't handle. This happens with all kinds of formats - Spotify, stream from local network from Xbmc (music), local (SD-storage) playback of mp3s and flacs on various media players. It's quite of sporadic nature, it doesn't happen a lot, but it's there. So this would be kind of 'audio' lag. I'm connected through pair of 3.5mm phones. The pop sounds I get to hear kind of remind of the bug on Samsung Galaxy S3 when it was initially released, although that one occured under different circumstances (when the screen was off). Anyone else has this issue? I've just downgraded my N7 from 4.2.2 to 4.1.2 and will be doing some testing to see if the sound bugs are gone now. To me this is one of the fundamental functions - stable music playback. I'm considering to return my device...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones