1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nexus 7 rant thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by blink182, Sep 8, 2012.

1. strollin

strollin Well-Known Member

The 8G storage and lack of an SD card slot would be my only complaint but not really an issue due to an OTG cable and the Nexus Media Importer app. Websites like Dropbox, Skydrive and Box work great too.

Advertisement

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Android Enthusiast

The changes google just sent mail about on the wallet app are certainly likely to be the source of major rants. Mine is: How the heck do I cut up a virtual credit card?

3. Hoosiermama

Hoosiermama Well-Known Member

I haven't found anything to rant about...except that I'm apparently so uncoordinated that I keep turning it off instead of turning the volume up. I swear I'll figure it out someday!:p

4. Daxst3r

Daxst3r Newbie

So far unsolved problem as mentioned in my own new topic.....

Redirect caching!!

&

Inconveniently located power button and headphone jack, they both become a nuisance when your using a case that holds the 4 corners of the tablet.

5. jairusz

jairusz Newbie

I take back what I said about the browsing experience on a nexus. Chrome cant even handle the college humor mobile site yet my two year old iphone 4 can. This is probably more on the OS than the hardware there are a lot of features that doesn't "just work" on the nexus 7 like it does on my iPhone. It feels that I have to scour the forums to find work arounds on almost everything I do on the N7. Really going to rethink keeping this tablet once the new ipad mini is announced.

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Android Enthusiast

I suppose the pitiful speakers might be worth a small rant. Even my phone's tiny speakers sound better than my Nexus 7 which is drowned out by any background noise. A dead silent room or headphones are required to hear anything.

7. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled

I take it you are coming from iOS and learning Android, is that correct? There is an adjustment period when one begins using a new OS after being used to a different one. I had an iPhone before I went to Android so I can understand how that works and feels. It's a bit confusing at first.

For me, once I got used to Android, I found it hard to go back to iOS because I loved the customization Android provided. I'm a programmer and a tech geek so I'm not a typical user. You may not enjoy the freedom and prefer having everything worked out for you. That's fine. I know a lot of people who share that philosophy and I respect it.

Maybe it's not for you. It's your cash, your device and your choice. I give you credit for trying it out!

colchiro and breadnatty08 like this.
  8. Homan13PSU

Homan13PSU Android Enthusiast

I just wish I could find a media player that plays m4v files. No screen separation for me. Other than that I am enjoying this more than my iPad.

9. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert

N7 is a great player.

nevermind, I saw mkv, that's not m4v

10. Homan13PSU

Homan13PSU Android Enthusiast

At the end of the day its no biggie. I just put my movies through Handbrake and keep them on file for use on the Nexus.

11. miltk

miltk Well-Known Member

bookmarks is cumbersome, nifty but cumbersome.

apps are geared for android phone so there needs to be app version for higher resolution.

12. Teknologic

Teknologic Android Expert

Not really any complaints here. I'll go with lack of sd slot too, since now I'm buying an otg cable and msd-usb adapter. More cost and trouble =(
    I do have a slight screen detach problem tho. Not very noticeable but still slightly worrying.. I can sometimes hear it click when I'm pressing the left side of my screen firmly, mainly when playing pinball actually ;p

Oh and I had my first bug just now, moving icons wouldn't work anymore, no matter what I did, they just kept hovering above where I wanted to drop them. This happened to every icon I tried it on and I couldn't find any way to fix it, ended up rebooting. Made a screen capture which shows, t more clearly

http://db.tt/GTVopPv6

Weird right?

But yeah other then this rant, no rants at all xD

Oh wait! Like every so many hours of screen on time, for one split second a vertical line flashes over my screen. Just a few pixels wide.

That's it, really done now.

13. Hoosiermama

Hoosiermama Well-Known Member

One app I like is GoMarks. Puts your bookmarks into Chrome, and then with the app, you can click on a bookmark. For me, it's much handier than the bookmarks in the browser.

miltk likes this.
  14. Dem

Dem Well-Known Member

I liked it, until it stopped working yesterday; screen unresponsive. Then I notice a crack through it. Never dropped and always in a protective cover. Bought it from PC World over the internet and going to take it back into a store tomorrow as they have a 21 day exchange / refund policy. Of course I expect the "you dropped it", "no I didn't" conversation............:(

15. gra2316

gra2316 Member

A decent rear facing camera and hdmi out would be on my wishlist but beyond that this has been my dream machine and for the price its unstoppable Imo. No sd no problem. 32 gb flash stick is actually better for me since I always lose my sd adapter. Lol...... Love it. Been rooted since day one and still running stock.... Very happy

16. miltk

miltk Well-Known Member

i understand everyone wanting an sd slot.

for me, i have a maxx. it has a slot and it carries all the media files i need, and on that battery i can play my media til the cows come home without charging...and it's small and portable.

i mean really, to me the n7 is a hot gadget that's a huge android phone without the phone:):):)

17. Sirius now working.

18. Voynix

Voynix Newbie

One other minor niggle. I wish the home screen would go landscape without the need for 3rd party solutions. It's a tablet, Google, not a phone!

19. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

No complaints here... fast, screen is great.

The complaint about buttons interfering with the case is a case issue, not a N7 issue. There is a case that has the button area notched out. I would prefer the power button more separated from the volume, but not worth wasted a good rant over it. :D

20. rootbrain

rootbrain Android Enthusiast

Yea, really. The BUTTONS interfere with the case???? I suppose Asus and Google should have contacted the case manufacturers so they would know what to build?

That's so stupid its funny.

Rootbrain

21. Eris1981

Eris1981 Android Enthusiast

The speakers are a bit weak, but better than my TF101, lack of an SD slot doesn't bother me so much now, I picked up a adapter for the microUSB and hook up a card reader there when I need it.

I'd like to see more real accessories for it.

[​IMG]

22. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

A lot of the initial cases were Kindle Fire cases, which would explain why the buttons didn't have enough clearance.

23. Enjoynlife

Enjoynlife Lurker

I gave up my 2 year old iPod Touch for my first Android (N7) and it was love at first sight!!! Other than not waiting for the 32 gig and a few apps not available yet, I don't miss the Touch at all. I finally turned on the Touch after owning my N7 for 2 weeks just to see if there were any apps that I forgot to search for and it suddenly seemed incredibly small. I can't believe I paid $299 for it...it is in good shape so I'll just use it for music storage. Speaking of which, I do have a dock for it that goes with my home theater. I wonder if Sony will eventually make something to dock the Nexus?

24. brykins

brykins Android Enthusiast

I doubt anyone will be making Nexus docks as no third party manufacturer will want to spend time and money tooling up to make a dock for something that may well change size/design in the next few months. Google ought to make a stand and settle on a hardware design for N4, N7 and N10 and guarantee that it won't change for two years to give an ecosystem a chance to start to grow.

Enjoynlife likes this.
  25. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

the only complaints i have is the lack of sd but i guess it doesnt really bother me too mush. i just like the idea of having one. the one thing that i cant stand is i cant seem to keep it out of my wifes hands!!!! drives me nuts when i want to use it!!! its my tablet not yours! lol. and the lack of a tablet ui kinda sux too.