1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Nexus 7, washing machine, screen dark, how to wipe?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shonangreg, Aug 4, 2013.

1. shonangreg

shonangreg Newbie
    None

Jun 20, 2009
    Japan
    Last week I lost my Nexus 7 (2012) -- and then I found it in the washing machine :-( I took it apart and tried drying it, reassembled it, couldn't get it to work, tried it again this time soaking the parts with 99.5% ethanol, reassembled it, and finally figured out it was working, though the screen was black. An email sent does give an audible notification.

Now I want to at least do a wipe of all my data, but I can't see anything on the screen at all, so how do I perform a wipe? I currently have it connected to a desktop linux PC, and I can see inside the folders. "fastboot devices" gives nothing, though. The avast app that I have installed on it also is not responding.

Can anyone help me out? And once I get it wiped, what should I do? It does have usable parts. Replacing the screen and the battery would end up costing almost the price for a new Nexus 7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. TharOosta

TharOosta Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Tennessee
    If there is no accidental warranty on it then just "wipe it" the old fashion way.

With a hammer...

3. jhsrennie

jhsrennie Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 31, 2012
    If you can borrow a Slimport adapter you could connect the N7 to a TV or monitor. The adapters are about

4. shonangreg

shonangreg Newbie
    None

Jun 20, 2009
    Japan
    Mirroring. Good idea. This is the 2012 version of the Nexus 7, however, so I have no SlimPort. (I've clarified this in the original post now.)

I do have Bubble UPnP installed, though I don't think this will do full mirroring.

No, what I want is something along the lines of "Long press power button. It will reboot. After holding the power button down for 7 seconds, also begin holding the volume down button. Do this for 60 seconds. Then, press the volume down button twice. Click the power button. Then click the volume down button one more time and hit the power button. Voila! All data wiped!"

I haven't seen anyone spell this all out, though. All guides I've found assume the display is at least on and transmitting, if not receiving touch.

Google leaving out a vibrator makes this all the more difficult. I have no feedback on when the device even shuts down or boots up.