1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Nexus 7 won't charge. Possibly fried.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DMXXX, Jan 7, 2014.

1. DMXXX

DMXXX Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Hi!

My nexus 7 had been sitting inactive on my shelf for a few weeks and last night when I plugged it in, it no longer seems to charge. The screen flickers for half a second and then goes black. It won't start with the power button, however it does start giving of a quiet electrical sounding buzz after trying to start it. There also seems to be a burned/parched smell to the device. Something seems to be fried. Unfortunately, the device is rooted and has a custom kernel, so I'm going to assume that when send it to warranty and they fix it and then boot it up they are going to declare the warranty voided and charge me for the repairs.

To me it seems that my nexus is done unless I'm willing to pay for the repairs.

Any advice?

Advertisement

2. TheAmazingDave

TheAmazingDave Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408
    Seeing that the Nexus supports unlocking out of the box, unless they can tie the software to the hardware failure, I don't think they'd care.

I've never had to test that though...

I'd try leaving it plugged in for a bit, unless it's getting hot/giving off a burning scent while charging.

3. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Waterfoot, Lancashire
    My rooted Nexus 4 was replaced under warranty so it certainly doesn't void it here in the UK; I expect it will depend where in the world the OP is.

4. havensed

havensed Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    My nexus did the same thing, it has to do with the power save feature. I googled the issue, after charging with the original charger for about an hour . I used the hold the power button, for a good 2-3 min. Let go then try the tap the power button 4-5 times then hold it again..first time no joy but unplugged power , replugged and on second try got the battery logo.. Rebooted it ,then actually shut it down, then completely recharged it. Since then no issues...

funkylogik likes this.
  5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Is that right mate (rooting/flashing doesnt void a nexus warranty in UK)?
    Thats pretty cool man. I know under EU law a manufacturer cant void the warranty unless your modifications caused the malfunction but try telling that to Samsung UK for example lol :D
    No matter where the OP lives though, if the thing wont charge, i doubt if they'd bother investigating whether its been unlocked or not.
    Ive read that if a Li-ion battery gets completely empty (like if it hasnt been used in a long time), it can be really hard to make it charge again.
    If the above suggestion doesnt work, id definitely claim it under warranty

6. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    I would send it in.

Unlocking your tablet does not automatically break it but certain actions you cant take with a rooted device can certainly brick it.

My guess is if the battery is dead they will replace the battery and factory reset it for testing. If its just the battery I am sure they will eat the cost if under warranty.

If the board is fried and they cant get it to power on then I dont see how they will ever know it was rooted and warranty it.

You talk to 10 different people about the unlocking and warranty you will get 10 different answers, my understanding from reading various sources and postings is if the device can be locked again it will be covered by warranty.

funkylogik likes this.