• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nexus 7 won't update to 4.3 :(

Hey, thanks for the responses, the update notification for "System update downloaded, touch to install" just came up again, so I am holding off on that until I am able to access those install logs.

I am a little apprehensive about rooting the device (fear of making a very expensive paperweight). Is there a good site to use as a guide for rooting it?

Hmm, if you are not already rooted (I wasn't sure before), then this just continues the puzzle and mystery as to who and how non-rooted devices are getting OTA installation failures :thinking: (because, theoretically, you should not be able to change things that the OTA verification should care about).

If you are not rooted, then your bootloader is probably still locked. Rooting it would require unlocking which would wipe your device :(.

Also, if you are not rooted, I don't believe you'll be able to look in the /cache/recovery folder to view or grab the files I mentioned about. Classic and frustrating catch-22 :banghead:.

I'd have to review this thread for what other posters (especially the non-rooted ones) have reported which files/apps were issues (LatinImeGoogle keyboard app, etc.). Then, I'd see if you have the option in the Play Store app to "Uninstall updates" for these guys--that might revert the app to a prior version which might allow the OTA to actually install (it's very hard to tell, of course, if the OTA does not report which files are mismatching).

Upvote 0
Hey Benez1ze,

Can you try again to post the details of the output of the OTA Verifier analysis (particularly the last part where it tells the details of your device)? Hopefully you can post (copy/paste) the details of your output here or again in a pastebin.

You should be able to post a link now--if you can't, send me a PM or an email to scary.alien@gmail.com.

edit: nevermind, I got your original pastebin to work: http://pastebin.com/i2Wyjbcb

I've got an idea to try as a work-around to the issues my OTA Verifier is having.

Let me know :).

P.S. by the way, Happy New Year to all!

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Okay, sorry for the third consecutive post, but it just occurred to me that you would or should already have to be rooted to view the OTA's .zip file in the /cache folder...where / what file did you point OTA Verifier to for him to analyze?

Secondly, given how many FAILED entries you have (447 failures; these are the old-style OTA entries, so the issue that my app has with the additional abort commands that Google's been adding to the 4.4 OTA update-script files is not an issue here), I'm sort of wondering how in the world you could have so many files out-of-sync? (rhetorical question, by the way :)).

Are you sure about the pedigree of the device and what it's history be?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I pointed the verifier to the test OTA file you uploaded for someone else to use. Could that be why it had so many more errors? Because it wasn't an actual OTA update?

I have been talking to Google as well, and they had me do the standard things to see if it would work (boot into recovery mode, wipe /cache, factory reset) but neither of those seem to work. When I would just wipe cache, it would download the update but when I told it to install, it would do the 10 second countdown until reboot but do nothing when it hit 0.

Edit: As to where I got the device from, I purchased it from Buy.com. Now that I look back at the receipt, it does say that it is refurbished, but nothing on the device or the box that it came in have any marking that it was refurb. Could that have any clue as to the problem?

Upvote 0
I pointed the verifier to the test OTA file you uploaded for someone else to use. Could that be why it had so many more errors? Because it wasn't an actual OTA update?

I have been talking to Google as well, and they had me do the standard things to see if it would work (boot into recovery mode, wipe /cache, factory reset) but neither of those seem to work. When I would just wipe cache, it would download the update but when I told it to install, it would do the 10 second countdown until reboot but do nothing when it hit 0.

Edit: As to where I got the device from, I purchased it from Buy.com. Now that I look back at the receipt, it does say that it is refurbished, but nothing on the device or the box that it came in have any marking that it was refurb. Could that have any clue as to the problem?

Ah, sorry for the belated delay in replying...big, cold winter storm here in the midwest :eek:.

Yeah, I'm sure that test file was specific to the other member's OTA.

So, you are on 4.2.1 and you're seeing a 4.3 OTA notification?

Let me see if I can find/grab that OTA download and tweak a version for you to run against--that might tell us a bit more.

Upvote 0
Benez1ze,

Okay, download and point my OTA Verifier app against this file:

and report back here with the results. Since you are not rooted, you will have things that can't be scanned (protected files), but maybe this will report what files that are not protected the OTA thinks are different on your device.

~ ~ ~

Also, this is an interesting and informative site (and where I downloaded the 4.3 OTA that I used above):

How To: Update Your 2012 Nexus 7 To Android 4.3 (JWR66V) And Root It Right Now [Updated: Now For 3G Nexus 7 nakasig]

Upvote 0
Ah, sorry for the belated delay in replying...big, cold winter storm here in the midwest :eek:.

Yeah, I'm in MI, so we have been pretty much holed up in the house all day.

I ran the OTA verifier with the new .zip you put up, and i still got 447 fails :(

Google just told me that this "is a known issue", but they just redirected me to the retailer, who then just redirected me to Asus, so its a bit of a pain.

Here is the pastebin of the result: OTA Verification - Pastebin.com

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Yep, you guys are in the deep freeze, too, eh? :yikes: :eek:

LOL, 447 is a familiar number, eh?

I didn't check, but I'm wondering if I just rebuilt basically the same file for you as I did for the other member...

I did notice in the website I found the 4.3 OTA on was that it was talking about folks coming from 4.2.2 instead of 4.2.1 like you are...so, maybe we need to find the 4.2.2 OTA? :dontknow:

Okay, so I found the 4.2.2 OTA update also over at AndroidPolice, so give this one a try:

Thanks and crossing fingers!

Upvote 0
Yep, you guys are in the deep freeze, too, eh? :yikes: :eek:

Yeah, I don't think we got it bad as others, but it is pretty ugly. Hoping to keep power...

I did notice in the website I found the 4.3 OTA on was that it was talking about folks coming from 4.2.2 instead of 4.2.1 like you are...so, maybe we need to find the 4.2.2 OTA? :dontknow:

Worth a shot, Might give us a different perspective on what might be going wrong to try the 4.2.2...

It came back with 464 fails 4.2.2 OTA verification

EDIT: I can't read, only 3 fails, 464 ignores.

Upvote 0
Well, that scan shows a pretty good result--I'm guessing the three files (netcfg, run-as, boot image) that were bypassed were permission-protected (i.e., since you're not rooted, by app can't read them since they don't allow read permission by the user your app runs as).
Code:
-------------------------------
updater-script analysis details:

BYPASSED: line #337:

assert(apply_patch_check("/system/bin/netcfg", "998bb80e91089b5d8e33dac392fd338bb54e20f4", "fbdd747e804f578546a0623fd6290663723b0d94"));

----------------------
BYPASSED: line #347:

assert(apply_patch_check("/system/bin/run-as", "a8fd6cd5bec4a4cc80df763c7bd13575d540a180", "c814be0e00ddf5dfa24583e3c4ba262fe960caaa"));

----------------------
BYPASSED: line #931:

assert(apply_patch_check("EMMC:/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX:5060608:319331fae14fec8a88063751475fce26bae328e0:5062656:af83f09e77a64ed7ede2adad2a16bd0c12d5d7fd"));
There's nothing obvious about the above files that explains the issue you're having...:dontknow:

Not sure where you want to go from here, though (you do have options, like directly flashing a 4.3 image--but you'd have to save your files, SD card, etc.).

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
Not sure where you want to go from here, though (you do have options, like directly flashing a 4.3 image--but you'd have to save your files, SD card, etc.).

Given that I have run the device through a buncha factory resets and wipes in general, there is nothing to worry about backing up right now. Would flashing a 4.3 image be a long term solution? Or would I have to do this again each time an update comes through?

Upvote 0
Given that I have run the device through a buncha factory resets and wipes in general, there is nothing to worry about backing up right now. Would flashing a 4.3 image be a long term solution? Or would I have to do this again each time an update comes through?

LOL, then running something like Wug's Root Toolkit to install a 4.3 (or even go directly to 4.4.2) factory image should not be a problem for you--that should get a clean, 4.x image and should resolve any OTA problems you've been having (I would imagine).

If you do flash a factory image, I'd suggest leaving the bootloader unlocked. That will give you more options in the future to do and analyze things (i.e., softbooting a custom recovery to allow you to root; this would allow you to keep a stock recovery and give you root (you don't have to use it if you don't want to) an allow things like my app or others to debug and research future issues).

Make sense?

BTW, I haven't personally used Wug's (or Mskips) Root Toolkit since I do their tasks manually myself, but I've heard nothing but good things from them and the do very much ease the pain of doing things like unlocking your bootloader and flashing a factory image.

Let me know if you have other questions! :)

Upvote 0
Like D-U-R-X and Scary Alien said, the toolkit will walk you through it. IIRC the steps it will walk you through are basically:
  1. Install and test drivers
  2. Back up (not necessary in your case)
  3. Unlock bootload
  4. Flash something (root / image / or whatever else)

Any of the three of us are usually around to lend a hand if you have a question. Honestly, the only issue I've ever run into is setting up drivers which in no way puts your device at risk as the toolkit can't do anything to your device if it can't talk to it. All of the other steps are a piece of cake.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I went through the unlocking process, and that seemed to work. Now I am on to trying to flash the updated OTA onto it through the toolkit. How exactly do I flash the device? I took a look into the advanced part of the toolkit, but there were a couple different options that all looked similar. I also saw on the main part of the toolkit that in the "root" section of the toolkit there was a checkbox to also flash a custom recovery. Which thing do I need to go into to get it to work?

I also looked online to find the OTA file that I will need to flash. I know the build I have is JOP40D. I found a post on XDA showing the different OTAs that I can get. I didn't see one that went from JOP40D up to the 4.4.2 build KOT49H. I did see that I can go from JOP40D to JWR66Y, and then up to KOT49H. Am I going to need to flash twice? Or should I only flash up to JWR66Y, and try to update normally from there to see if the problem is solved?

Upvote 0
I'll let DURX reply back about the toolkit prompts as I've not run them before, but you shouldn't need to do anything manual about the OTAs--they'll prompt you as before and should install cleanly.

Just pick which base operating system (I'd got with the most recent 4.4 one if I were you) and you should be good (there might be a subsequent, incremental OTA sent to you, but it should install just fine).

Upvote 0
If you have the stock recovery, you should be able to just sideload... as SA said, if you sideload to 4.3, you should just get OTA updates.

Alternatively, you could sideload up to the latest version - not sure if you'd need to go in steps though :eek:

Really don't need to worry though... should be able to recover from pretty much anything. If you have any worries/questions, just post back first :)

On a side note, it is worth unlocking your device before syncing... I rooted my N4 and had a custom ROM on it. I returned to the stock, rooted, ROM (had a couple of issues with the custom ROM) and, a month or so down the line, accepted an OTA - in the process, I was un-rooted... as I'd unlocked my bootloader, I was able to use Wug's kit to re-root without loosing any data (unlocking the bootloader will perform a factory reset) :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones