• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 9 specifications discussion

Have done some looking and have found USB is same as the Nexus 7.

I work for a company that makes a potable HVAC Digital Gage Diagnostic Manifold

https://www.fielddiagnostics.com/

Our original Models had ran on the Palm OS but have Since moved over to using the Android Platform after USB Host was introduced in Honeycomb after a very short short Windows Mobile run. Still have 100's of Pidion Windows Mobile PDA's laying around the office and shop pretty much used now as $700 paper waits. Anyhow had made the decision that all older models should be upgradeable to use whatever device is currently being used as the user interface as although new models are sleeker and sexier by design the same pressure, temperature sensors are calculations are still used as the equipment it is design to diagnose, air-conditioners from residential to big box roof top units used to cool Target sized buildings for the most part have not changed all that much including the physics involved.

Anyhow before I continue a giant rant to make this to happen we designed a Micro USB to Serial Cable along with an app needed to make it work with Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fielddiagnostics.sacableandroid&hl=en

Currently each Kit ships with the Nexus 7 set up with the correct software to installed and ready to use out of the box. After the discontinuation was charged with choosing a new device to replace the Nexus 7 and after some research, mainly running a hardware comparison on PDA.net for starters discovered the Nexus 9 will use the same USB specs as the Nexus 7

USB 3.0 host/client 480 mbit/s OTG 1.3

Have decided to continue the tradition and continue to use the Nexus 9 once our current Supply of Nexus 7 goes dry.

Sorry just a lil bit more information than asked or needed but have a lot of pride in my work and what we as a company have achieved so that and all the research and testing has been a life consumer since the Nexus 9 announcement and have just finished putting the Nexus 7 with the latest L preview image through the ringer to insure no software surprised once all the Nexus 7 devices currently being on the field pop up once the official update rolls out.

Upvote 0
Has anyone posted a comparison in terms of size between the N7 and the N9? I really love my N7, but I am not sure I like the form factor of the N9. This, most likely, will present a problem down the road for me, because I want to stay with Nexus, but I am not sure I like where their tablet game is heading...

Asus Google Nexus 7 (2013) vs. HTC Nexus 9 - GSMArena.com

You can use that link to view both device specs side by side.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I picked up the Nexus 9 this week. No Mircast support. Called Google on it to confirm. I can only assume that the lack of support on the Nexus 9 and 6 is an attempt to push us to Chromecast. I am PISSED! The proper hardware is there on the tablet (the dual 2.4 and 5ghz WiFi radios), just no software support. Maybe if enough people complain they will add support....

Upvote 0
or the nexus player.. ;)

its not about complaining--you get more flies with honey than vinegar--its about rolling out features once they are solid.

it could be goog is adding the support for it later, give it some time! the units have just begun to get in the wild.

we all have our own needs in a device and i am happy with the nexus line (the 6,9 and the player) so hopefully you can find other features and such on the tablet that will be acceptable to you.

or... there's always the returns policy if you are not satisfied...

I can only assume that the lack of support on the Nexus 9 and 6 is an attempt to push us to Chromecast

Upvote 0
or the nexus player.. ;)

its not about complaining--you get more flies with honey than vinegar--its about rolling out features once they are solid.

it could be goog is adding the support for it later, give it some time! the units have just begun to get in the wild.

we all have our own needs in a device and i am happy with the nexus line (the 6,9 and the player) so hopefully you can find other features and such on the tablet that will be acceptable to you.

or... there's always the returns policy if you are not satisfied...

I am not so worried about returning the device, it was a test unit for me to evaluate the device to go into our deployment.

As for the Google Player, I have the same critique as I do with Chromecast. It requires a Static IP to sit on a WiFi network, whereas Miracast utilizes an ad-hoc connection between the client and video receiver. For the corporate environment it is a better device.

I guess that it was just a little frustrating for me to see Google and HTC remove software support for a piece of technology that according to Google last year "would be part of all subsequent Android releases." The most frustrating part to me is that the Nexus 9 has the dual radio setup necessary to support Miracast. All I can assume is that it was a calculated move by someone (HTC or Google) to push revenue to the Nexus Player or Chromecast.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones