1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nexus Charging VERY slowly.

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Android Question

Hi, My new Nexus 5 seems to take a very long time to charge.

1. If I connect it to the 'travel charger' that came with the unit, it takes a long time to charge, at least overnight. If I try using it for games or something, the discharge graph is almost 45degrees negative. That is on AC and charging.

2.If I connect it to the usb at work the charging graph is almost flat. If I start using the phone whilst still connected, the phone actually starts discharging.

My old iPhone 4S would charge to 100% in a couple of hours on the usb, whereas with the Nexus 5, there is no way the phone will ever achieve 100% throughout the course of the whole day?

Any ideas

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

Normal charge time from fully discharged should be about 16 hours, charger or USB, with the phone off. If something in your computer is limiting the available USB current, it'll charge more slowly in the computer.

As for how long it takes to charge when you're using it, that depends on what you're doing with it (IOW, how much current you're making it draw). Remember, the microUSB port is a charging port, not an external power port. It's very easy on most phones to draw more current than the charger can supply, and run the battery out of charge even while it's plugged in.

As far as your iPhone went, that's not a USB connector, it's a proprietary Apple port, which can probably handle a lot more current than a USB 2.0 port.