• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus Coming Tomorrow

SimsDelt

Android Expert
Aug 4, 2010
Bremen, Georgia
Can someone help me out please. I'm going to go pick up an Otter Box tomorrow for my new bad boy... but with all the battery complaints can someone tell me where / what is a good extended battery for the phone.

Also... what is a good ROM/Kernel combo to use for the best battery life.

Thanks.

Can someone help me out please. I'm going to go pick up an Otter Box tomorrow for my new bad boy... but with all the battery complaints can someone tell me where / what is a good extended battery for the phone.

Also... what is a good ROM/Kernel combo to use for the best battery life.

Thanks.

Hello again,
I use the extended battery from Verizon
And I've heard the liquid smooth is a good rom
And a lean kernel would surely work.

Upvote 0
Was gonna flash Axiom which has 4.0.4 radio and has lean kernel... if you know better please tell me... I'm new to an unlocked bootloader... but I have all the files ready to go for unlocking/rooting the first time... all ROMS and Kernels are flashed in CWM if I'm correct?

Yes you're right cwm
You know about touch recovery right? I'll suggest that,using the keys were very touchy to me and it'd sometimes hesitated on reboot etc..

Axiom is good I don't know the best roms I'm using bigtixie apex still.

They're a lot of links here enjoy.

Upvote 0
Can I flash that instead of the regular cwm once I unlock the bootloader... then flash su.zip from it? I know with the other instructions I have to fflash a temp cwm recovery and once I flash the superuser file I have to boot up and flash again through rom manager.

I don't know honestly? I rooted my phone and flashed a rom before that touch recovery beta was released and I haven't tried to do it that way I suppose you could try to first. How I flashed the touch recovery was navigating to the sdk files and I used fastboot commands in command prompt flashed the image that way. Voidedsaint could tell you he's one of the best.

Upvote 0
are you running V5 or V6... 5 has franco's kernel... 6 has trinity... didn't know which kernel is better? need descent battery life... I know I will be turning off 4G... since I don't have it here so that will help.

i have both v5 and v6 i am trying out the v6 now if it seems like it lags or drains to fast i will switch to v5 though i have heard the franco kernel is power hungry? i do like this new rom seems loaded with all a modder could ask for octo lock screen,apex launcher,nova launcher lol well you know.

Upvote 0
So I'm running V6 and Flashed Imo's Lean Kernel 2.4.1 exp 1 notim w/ Kernel tweaks... it is a combo maid in heaven. Phone is flying at 1560 Mhz and using less power than stock. Still the phone is a power hog... but thats what ext batteries are for :)

I was running Trinity's kernel that came with the ROM and it was not working well at all on my phone... had probably 5 lockups in an hour and 3 random reboots. With Lean Kernel I've had no lockups or reboots.

Upvote 0
Hey great news sounds like a nice combo i mite try that kernel someday i have not had any issues with force closes or reboots.I have always enjoyed using imoseyon kernels great quality builds for speed and battery life. i use 7.1 on my DX and still have not found a better kernel tweak for my DX phone.

Upvote 0
If u want to battery last long make this:
-NO live wallpaper, make black or dark wallpaper (brighter more power consumption from LCD)
-install desktop widgets to TURN ON/OFF for DATA, WIFI, BLUETOOTH, GPS.... why use them when u dont need them
-install some task killer which kills proceses when going to "LOCK"
-set AUTOBRIGHTNESS

Iv done that and my batt last 2 days with heavy use and 4-7 days with medium/occasional use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones