• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nexus New Guy

Hunter5

Android Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2012
Orlando, FL
Hello...just bought me a Nexus 7 32g today and I'm new to this forum and new to tablets. (This being my first) My question is how hard is it to root the Nexus? I have rooted and flashed custom roms on my SG3 with no issues, but I'm alittle nervous on this one for some reason. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advise :)

its a lil different and yes the nexus 7 was my first tablet i got mine in decemember. and i also have a galaxy s3 :D i suppose whats different about rooting this tablet compared to rooting our phones is that first we gotta unlock thhe nexus 7 before rooting it. and no its not hard just follow along the steps and you should be alright :D

i highly recommend you using this method to unlock and root your nexus 7:

http://androidforums.com/nexus-7-all-things-root/581205-nexus-root-toolkit.html

Upvote 0
its a lil different and yes the nexus 7 was my first tablet i got mine in decemember. and i also have a galaxy s3 :D i suppose whats different about rooting this tablet compared to rooting our phones is that first we gotta unlock thhe nexus 7 before rooting it. and no its not hard just follow along the steps and you should be alright :D

i highly recommend you using this method to unlock and root your nexus 7:

http://androidforums.com/nexus-7-all-things-root/581205-nexus-root-toolkit.html

Thank you sir...followed the toolkit and I am now rooted. Now I have to decide if I want to flash a rom...just don't know which is best, well I'm sure they are are good but I will have to research them. thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thank you sir...followed the toolkit and I am now rooted. Now I have to decide if I want to flash a rom...just don't know which is best, well I'm sure they are are good but I will have to research them. thanks again.

I personally like CyanogenMod but Paranoid android is a very nice ROM with better customization than in CM. I would check them too out. Of course you will need a custom recovery you can get from the nexus 7 toolkit as well. You have the choice of CWM or TWRP. Both are very good twrp has more options but cwm looks cleaner. I prefer cwm but most people go with twrp.

Upvote 0
The s3 is pretty easy to root (I've done a few of them), but nexus devices are just that much easier!

I know it won't be long before you've joined us in the light :D

I'm there baby!! Rooted and flashed bb7, have used this rom with my SG3 so I thought I would start there. Thanks for everyone's help, once I got through everything, rooting and flashing was a piece of cake. :D

Reactions: Rxpert83 and n4zty
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones