• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus one 3G issues

emcbain

Lurker
Mar 28, 2010
I've had a Nexus one for about a week now and am still contemplating if I should send it back and get a Desire. At the moment the only advantage the Desire has is the optical track pad, I'm not really interested in Sense and I like the fact that the Nexus is easily rootable and is much more likely to get timely updates from Google (been burned by a Samsung i7500).

The Nexus does however have one major problem, whenever you pick up the phone the 3G signal takes a nose dive. One of the differences between the nexus and the Desire would appear to be the radio. The desire doesn't support 1700 so would appear to have a different radio. This gives me hope that it might not have the same 3G issues as the Nexus.

Can some of you lucky people who already have your Desire's please test the the 3G reception. The best way to test the reception is to open the phone app and dial *#*#4636#*#* then select "phone information". Sit the phone on a table and note the Signal strength, then pick the phone up and see how much the signal strength changes.

There's a YouTube vid here that shows how the Nexus signal reacts to being picked up YouTube - Nexus One Signal Strength

I dont seem to have that issue with my N1 (I have both). Also, dont forget the trackball is great for notifications. TBH, If youre not into Sense keep the N1.

Although the phones are similar they both have their own positives.

Main one for Desire is Sense. N1 has better call quality imo, longer battery life so far (havent had the Desire long enough), N1 phone build/finish quality is nicer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones