• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One Activation Question

Fdelys

Lurker
Jan 5, 2010
So I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem.

I ordered a Nexus One to Philly at 2:10 pm EST yesterday, shortly after the page went live. I was hoping to get my phone today, like many people, but I got my shipping notice this morning. Unfortunately, I will not receive my phone until tomorrow.

Here's the problem: I need to cancel with Sprint before tomorrow (or I'm charged for a whole new billing cycle). I need to activate with T-mobile simultaneously, otherwise I lose my number.

The T-mobile customer care representatives said they could do nothing, and Google doesn't even have a customer service line.

The only thing I can think of is whether or not you can activate the phone before receiving it. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks..

I actually was able to activate my phone number with t-mobile once I had gotten the shipping notice. The link is in the e-mail, and it worked even though I don't have my phone yet.

This may be better than going through the hassle of trying to only pay for a day of service- I've noticed sometimes the customer care representatives are especially snotty when you mention you're canceling your service.

Upvote 0
Sprint specifically are a pain in the butt on this, and I think their normal policy is, if you enter the next billing period, they bill for the whole thing even if you cancel on day two.

As for a solution - what if you go to TMo store and port your number to a free (or nearly free) phone. Then when the N1 arrives, just move the SIM?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones