• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nexus One Dialer/Phone

YoungD112

Nov 29, 2009
Hey guys. Well I use the Aloysius ROM and I'm liking it, but then I tried the ErisLightningBolt ROM and fell in love with the dialer/phone. Is there a way I can get that on Aloysius, like anything I can flash? Thanks, and if your not sure what I mean, here's some pics.
Google-Nexus-One-Google-Voice-calling-screen.png
phone-dialer_2.png

You may be able to pull the Contact.apk from the CyanogenELB ROM (will be found in the /system/app folder) and "adb push" it to /system/app on your phone. However, I'm not completely sure this will work. It may work since the Aloysius ROM is a Hero C based ROM and some of those ROMs can accept the AOSP/Vanilla dialer.

Also I think there are a couple of .apks that will need to accompany the Contacts.apk in order for it to work. I believe the Phone.apk is used to connect your phone to Verizon. Not positive about that though.

Your best bet would be to search XDA. I would start by posting the question on the Aloysius thread for Eris and work my way back to the original source on the Hero C forums on XDA. More than likely, between the Eris and Hero C Aloysius threads, someone else has probably asked the same question.

Eris Aloysius
[ROM] Aloysius 2.0 Snow with OC, Friendstream and APP2SD (6/2/10) - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Ugh! I really want this dialer as well! I'm running Evil Eris 2.0.1. I've asked around on several threads both here and XDA and I have gotten ZERO responses. Please let me know what you figure out...I would gladly donate if someone could make a flash update of some sort with this dialer!!!!!

Please can someone help us?

OP: keep me posted on what you find, will ya? :eek:

Upvote 0
Well, I can get the dialer to work by installing the Contacts.apk from the ErisLightningBolt rom. I also put the Phone.apk and ContactsProvider.apk on there too although I'm not sure if they actually did anything. The problem is if I make a call, it goes right back to the stock HTC calling screen. Also, it defaults to the call log screen instead of the dial pad, which is annoying to me and I don't know how to make it default on the dial pad. I'll keep asking and see if I get an answer!

Reactions: Gink
Upvote 0
Hey guys. Well I use the Aloysius ROM and I'm liking it, but then I tried the ErisLightningBolt ROM and fell in love with the dialer/phone. Is there a way I can get that on Aloysius, like anything I can flash? Thanks, and if your not sure what I mean, here's some pics.
Google-Nexus-One-Google-Voice-calling-screen.png
phone-dialer_2.png

This is sorta what I have requested for months, I was looking for a way to have the Google Voice dialer (which looks very similar to the Nexus) instead of the stock. With GV, it will show for a second or two and then switch over the the HTC dialer.

I would love to have this or the GV dialer and contact screen as my one and only/default.

If you can get this for any ROM, or just Evil Eris :D, PLEASE let me know!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Well, I can get the dialer to work by installing the Contacts.apk from the ErisLightningBolt rom. I also put the Phone.apk and ContactsProvider.apk on there too although I'm not sure if they actually did anything. The problem is if I make a call, it goes right back to the stock HTC calling screen. Also, it defaults to the call log screen instead of the dial pad, which is annoying to me and I don't know how to make it default on the dial pad. I'll keep asking and see if I get an answer!

There is a thread on XDA for a ROM called TaintedVanilla. It was an attempt to take the Eris from SenseUI to Vanilla. However, it is almost impossible to complete remove Sense from the phone, hence the the Tainted part of that ROM is the Sense that remains. What that all means is that regardless of what you do to try to change the dialer, the Sense call screen will always remain. I believe it's embedded with Sense. Hence, I think in order to get that dialer completely working on your phone you will need to go to a true Vanilla ROM. Again, this has been heavily researched and wanted on many ROMs, but the way Sense is tied to the phone it makes it difficult.

As far as defaulting back to the dial pad in the Vanilla Dialer, there is an option in the preferences on the dialer for it to do that, at least it's there on the CELB ROM. It's the second option under Preferences.

When I ran a Sense based ROM I used this mod below. It's DialerOne, which is a Vanilla Dialer clone. It's not the exact same, but when compared to the HTC dialer it's much better. You will get the Sense/HTC call screen and dialer while on a call though. Again, this is due to Sense. You can read the full thread, but basically the flash will remove the HTC Dialer and completely replace it with DialerOne.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/59459-replace-htc-dialer-dialerone-vanilla-clone.html

After you apply the flash above, go into the market and either search for DialerOne in the search field or check your downloads. There should be an update for DialerOne and it will update the version you have after flashing the above. Like I mentioned, this is available in the Market, but applying it to your phone this way removes the HTC Dialer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones