• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One for Verizon Wireless Spring 2010

Here's hoping they don't get all draconian with the Verizon pricing options like they did with Tmobile. I dont want to wait till march to be told I need to drop out of my family plan to get it or I have to be on an exact single plan.

I have a BB through VZW right now...I'm really going to be upset if the cost of my plan goes up. I really wish they could sell this in the store, it would make it much easier for us to sort this out if we have contract issues to talk about.

Upvote 0
i agree, sense is very nice, i like it very much, but the UI on the nexus (i guess vanilla android 2.1?) is quite nice.

Having had the Eris (and got rid of the Sense home to make the thing a bit faster) and now having the Droid, I vastly prefer stock Android to Sense.

I like the fact that stock Android gets updated much faster than phones with Sense.

I know I'm going to get some flack for this, but while I hated the slowness of the Eris, I think the Eris had a more polished build quality than the Droid. A lot of people say the Droid is built like a tank, but I question it's long term reliability. I do like the weight of the Droid, though.

Which is why I'm leaning towards the N1. Lack of Sense (ha ha) and a single piece design.

Upvote 0
I see no reason why New Every Two won't apply to this phone. It applies to every phone Verizon has...as long as you wait until the full period and resign a 2-year contract you'll get the $50 off. (Used to be $100 :L) So if the phone sells for even $200, $150 is fine by me for this phone.

Now I just really need to decide if I can forgo the keyboard for touch-only...I am a heavy texter so I don't want my speed to suffer !

Upvote 0
I see no reason why New Every Two won't apply to this phone. It applies to every phone Verizon has...as long as you wait until the full period and resign a 2-year contract you'll get the $50 off. (Used to be $100 :L) So if the phone sells for even $200, $150 is fine by me for this phone.

Now I just really need to decide if I can forgo the keyboard for touch-only...I am a heavy texter so I don't want my speed to suffer !

get hip to swype then

Upvote 0
Is that correct?

Please read my other post. When I posted the original post, it was after the website was made live and Rubin said it would be coming to VZW. I wanted to post the news to the forum as soon as it broke.

Later in the press conference, Rubin clarified and said that the phone coming to VZW would be LOCKED. Because it is locked, that means it will likely fall into VZW's price structure for smartphones.

It is unlikely that the hold up is simply getting VZW site structure on Google. The According to the Press Event, the CDMA version sounds like it's been a difficult proposition. Those two factors are likely pushing its release to late Spring 2010.

That being said, by that time, you can probably expect the DROID and N1 to be priced similarly, i.e., $179 with 2-year contract voice AND data (mandatory) including exorbitant ETF. These two phones are likely the two phones that VZW had alluded to being their "two flagship Android phones": 1) with keyboard (DROID), 2) without keyboard (N1).

These are also two "pure Google experience" phones and will be running NATIVE Android OS. There's no such thing as "Sense Lite" or whatever made-up thing. Google has said and reiterated in the Press Event, these represent the pure Google experience. No Sense UI will be adapted to it.

As of today, HTC is only known to be working on adapting Sense UI to OS2.0. So, any future Sense UI phones will likely be carrying OS2.0. If you want the pure Google experience, these will be phone running 2.1, which is why Motorola was there at the Press Event, next to Google and HTC guys.

Upvote 0
get hip to swype then

Swype is great in portrait mode, but ineffective in landscape mode. You'd type quicker with two hands in landscape. Honestly, I've been using Swype for a while now, but it still can't replace the physical keyboard for text-heavy applications and the need for precise cursor control. And if you're an gaming emulator user, forget trying to play on a virtual keypad. Doesn't work. But yeah, nothing beats being able to see where you're typing with the physical keyboard. You still can view the webpage you're on while typing in usernames, passwords, etc.

Upvote 0
Makes sense Regarding NE2. I am hoping "Spring" comes early this year.... especially if it is only integrating member services between Google and Verizon as @Nelson419 mentioned.

I could see Verizon waiting until just after the Holiday return period is over on the Droid (mid Jan), then announcing a release a date... Maybe Late Jan/Early Feb? A boy can dream...

Upvote 0
I'm holding out for the Nexus 6 although I hear they don't last more than four years.

Haha I know right? Im scared to sell my Droid, get the N1 and then have something even crazier come out right after. I know its the way technology works but bringing out a phone like this RIGHT after the heavily marketed Droid is a pretty big pain in the ass for us VZW geeks.

Minus the small amount of storage they give you with the N1, I personally believe the specs alone will hold me over for at least a year or 2. Hell, my younger sister is still running a laptop that is 1ghz, 512mb RAM.

It's going to cost me a pretty penny (wouldn't have If I would have known to wait for the N1 and get it at a free upgrade price) but im willing to shell it out over buying a netbook :)

Sooo..anyone wanna buy a droid? haha

Upvote 0
Sense lite? What's Sense lite?

The N1 running stock Android (2.1) just like the Droid is running stock Android (2.0 and now 2.01). There is, thankfully IMO, no SenseUI on the N1.

You mean outside of the more home screen panels and that weather widget which looks nothing at all like the HTC one you always see on Sense enabled phones?
By the way do a search on Market. How many apps are there to return Sense phones to stock android? Now count up how many apps are there for turning stock android closer to sense.

Upvote 0
Question for you VZW guys. I have Tmobile and the Even More Plus plan I can get for the unsubsidized N1 is $60 for 500 minutes, unlimited text/data, unlimited night & weekends, and unlimited tmo-to-tmo. How much does a comparable plan on Verizon cost? I can't make head nor tail of the Verizon website as far as how much plans cost for android phones.

Upvote 0
Question for you VZW guys. I have Tmobile and the Even More Plus plan I can get for the unsubsidized N1 is $60 for 500 minutes, unlimited text/data, unlimited night & weekends, and unlimited tmo-to-tmo. How much does a comparable plan on Verizon cost? I can't make head nor tail of the Verizon website as far as how much plans cost for android phones.

Verizon makes you get the $30 smartphone fee which includes email (where as your tmobile plan does not have "my email" listed as a feature) so it would be $90 on Verizon. Otherwise it would be the same cost for 50 less minutes.

Upvote 0
Verizon makes you get the $30 smartphone fee which includes email (where as your tmobile plan does not have "my email" listed as a feature) so it would be $90 on Verizon. Otherwise it would be the same cost for 50 less minutes.

where are you getting $90 from?

450 mins with a droid phone is $69

That's 39 for the plan and 30 for unlimited data.

Get a google voice account and send txt messages all day for free ;)

There is also currently a trick to get unlimited everything on VZW for $89 a month.

You get the 900 minute plan for $59 data is always $30 for the android phones, 900 min plan gets you friends and family.

Get a google voice account.

Put your google voice number in your friends and family list.

When you dial out using GVoice it will say dialing using 850-583-0700

Add that also to your family list.

Now when you dial out the only number you will ever dial is 850-583-0700 and when you recieve a call the only number that will ever call you is your google voice number!

If you like to keep track of who you call on your bill this is not ideal...if you like to call as much as you like for free this is a damn good cheat ;)

Upvote 0
It is unlikely that the hold up is simply getting VZW site structure on Google. The According to the Press Event, the CDMA version sounds like it's been a difficult proposition. Those two factors are likely pushing its release to late Spring 2010.

Ugh. Here you go again repeating the same misinformation. That's not what was said at the press event:

http://androidforums.com/verizon/33274-nexus-one-coming-verizon-spring-10-a.html#post236213

There's no difficulty with CDMA.

Upvote 0
where are you getting $90 from?

450 mins with a droid phone is $69

That's 39 for the plan and 30 for unlimited data.

Get a google voice account and send txt messages all day for free ;)

There is also currently a trick to get unlimited everything on VZW for $89 a month.

You get the 900 minute plan for $59 data is always $30 for the android phones, 900 min plan gets you friends and family.

Get a google voice account.

Put your google voice number in your friends and family list.

When you dial out using GVoice it will say dialing using 850-583-0700

Add that also to your family list.

Now when you dial out the only number you will ever dial is 850-583-0700 and when you recieve a call the only number that will ever call you is your google voice number!

If you like to keep track of who you call on your bill this is not ideal...if you like to call as much as you like for free this is a damn good cheat ;)

My bad, was looking at the select plan and adding $30.

Upvote 0
Except the website says "The Nexus One Phone with Verizon Wireless service.". If the phone is coming with Verizon service it wont be sold as an unlocked phone. It would also be hard to make the argument the N1 is $330 better then the Droid.
Though I was hoping for a full Sense HTC phone as the N1 has Sense lite. They better not try to bust out the same draconian plan limitations like they did for Tmobile.
You're comparing the N1 unsubsidized price ($530) to the Droids subsidized price ($199). If you compare subsidized to subsidized and unsubsidized to unsubsidized then the N1 is cheaper.

Upvote 0
You wanna buy a $500 phone and u don't even text or even play an occasional game? :eek:

yes!
i just read over at engadget.com that verzion wireless is getting the nexus one.
i love my droid that i got for xmas but i need a sleeker sexier and faster phone. and the nexus is rite up my alley.
i don't need the hardware keyboard cuz i don't play games on it and i barely use it to text.

omg i can't wait til the nexus comes to big red.
looks like at&t and the iphone's days are over.

Upvote 0
You're comparing the N1 unsubsidized price ($530) to the Droids subsidized price ($199). If you compare subsidized to subsidized and unsubsidized to unsubsidized then the N1 is cheaper.

But that was kinda my point. It was in response to Sooper saying it would be unlocked only for Verizon which would mean an unsubsidized price probably at $530 (with no subsidized price point). My point was the N1 is not so much better then the Droid for most to pay $530 for an unsubsidized N1 when they could pay $200 for a subsidized Droid.
Yes if you go strictly by the Tmobile setup it should be cheaper. Though I'll be more then happy to pay $20 more subsidized for more plan options then what Tmobile got.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones