• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus One is SOOOOOOOO Slow!!

jw nyc

Mar 31, 2010
I don't know why but my Nexus One seems to be SOOOOOO slow recently! Even with a soft reset or battery pull the phone seems to lag. Even chatting on GTalk or SMS the messages will sometimes take 5 seconds to send. Using the phone has started to become a huge pain.

I tried installing ATK but even freeing up memory doesn't seem to help much. Moving around the OS is pretty snappy but doing any tasks is getting frustrating. Anything I could do to speed this thing up? FYI - I'm still unrooted & on the stock ROM.

I don't know why but my Nexus One seems to be SOOOOOO slow recently! Even with a soft reset or battery pull the phone seems to lag. Even chatting on GTalk or SMS the messages will sometimes take 5 seconds to send. Using the phone has started to become a huge pain.

I tried installing ATK but even freeing up memory doesn't seem to help much. Moving around the OS is pretty snappy but doing any tasks is getting frustrating. Anything I could do to speed this thing up? FYI - I'm still unrooted & on the stock ROM.
Looks like you must be a "heavy" text messanger...;) How many SMS and MMS you have on your N1?

Upvote 0
First if you have set a live wallpaper switch to a static image. If you have no reason to keep long conversation threads, delete them. Some have reported sluggishness when they get too long and particularly if you have a number of mms is with pictures and other content. Basics covered you may have an app gone rogue. Consider uninstalling any that you installed from a few days before you started noticing any slow downs. Might want to uninstall atk which is a pretty poor task killer and install system panel instead. You will then be able to look at individual processes to see which one is using all the resources as an alternative to carpet bombing all your recent apps till you get past the one whats whacking your phone.

Upvote 0
The stock wallpapers on the stock phone without any apps are fine. I have ran into several market papers that had issues from the first set, others would work ok for a while and then get hinky. Add the wild cards that apps represent and sometimes you get problems. Best to go to a static wallpaper while you are hashing issues. They are not all bad at least for me, I have earth rotating and several others that have always played nice but as I said, when I am trouble shooting I switch to a static to take them out of the mix. If you do have an app not playing well once you find it and uninstall, reinstall, whatever, go ahead and light them back up and see where you're at. As to battery life I can only repeat what you have likely already read, whatever extra batt they consume seems to have little effect for me at the end of the day assuming the live paper itself isnt an issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones