• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One pre-purchase questions

EddieEC

May 25, 2010
Hey everyone, I have some questions to ask before I go buy a Nexus One.
1. Does it lag on 2.1? 2.2?
2. Does the accelerometer work fine?
3. Does the touch keys work properly?
4. How is battery life?
5. Do I wait for the official FroYo update, or just go ahead and use the "update.zip" method?

Thanks!

When I had my hero, I typed semi-decently. So I am guessing this one should be easier because of bigger screen.

Don't know about the Hero but the "bigger screen" has the keyboard placed horrifically above the soft home key and I very often hit it by mistake. Annoying as I could be at the end of an email or text and had to constantly start over. Also, what real estate it does have is minimal at best. I know there are market app keyboards some say are better, I never found one though.

Upvote 0
1. 2.2 runs very smooth at the moment
2. It does work fine
3. The soft keys work properly, I think I have to press them a bit upper than originally thought, but I got used to and don't get mistakes anymore.
4. I usually extract 2 days of battery use, with autosync of contacts and mail, light browsing and some texting.
5. You could wait, but updating it via update.zip is just the same, you are not rooting it and you will be able to get the future updates OTA

Upvote 0
What phones are you deciding between? iPhone and Nexus One? I owned an iPhone for over 3 years and I've had my Nexus One for about 1 month now and I've got to tell you for not one single second I have I regretted giving up on the iPhone. The Nexus One is amazing. Full multi-tasking, much better system for handling notifications, ability to download apps from the market that give you greater control over your phone than Apple would ever allow.

And regarding accidentally hitting the soft keys when typing, yes, this happens, but for me it only happens RARELY. And when it does occur, the Nexus One is smart enough to save your email, IM, text so that when you return to it you haven't lost your work.

Get a Nexus One.

Upvote 0
I am in no way considering an iPhone anymore. I had a 3G for some time, and all the iPhone versions are the same things, slightly better specs. Every year, same boring device, same boring OS.
FroYo caught my eye. I am deciding between the HTC Desire, and the Nexus one, though I will be getting the N1 most probably.

Upvote 0
My comments are based solely on my time with the N1. I had it first with tmo, then got a new one with ATT, and returned to the iPhone. I had an N1 from it's inception until a few weeks ago. I tried hard to like it. Really REALLY hard. I had blown a grand or more on the two I bought. And I really do like the concept. The software is pretty cool. Better than the os on iPhone by far. I suspect 4.0 on the iPhone will not be as good either. My complaints are with the hardware only. And it is the hardware that sent me packing. I think htc developed a decent phone, but not good enough. For me. And I know I'm in the minority here but I feel you asked a question that you wanted answers to, and not an echo chamber.

Upvote 0
Thanks for telling me that. I do have some experience with Android 1.5 on my old HTC Hero! I also have a question: in some articles they say the "T-Mobile" version of the N1. Is the T-Mobile version the same as the Factory Unlocked version? (Isn't the T-Mobile N1 factory unlocked, but you get it with a plan??)

Upvote 0
I guess if you are deciding between the Desire and the Nexus One one factor is vanilla android vs. HTC Sense. You know the classic debates there: delays to Android rolls.

Personally, I prefer vanilla Android, but I know this is a very personal preference thing for people.

Also, to address what cabinets said regarding the software being great but the hardware turning him off, I think again, this is a very personal thing. I personally have had absolutely no problems with the hardware and I am a very PICKY person. When something is just slightly off it will drive me nuts. The Nexus One hardware never annoys me.

Anyway, either way I think you'll be making a good decision. The Desire seems like a solid phone based on what I've read.

Upvote 0
"Also, to address what cabinets said regarding the software being great but the hardware turning him off, I think again, this is a very personal thing. I personally have had absolutely no problems with the hardware and I am a very PICKY person. When something is just slightly off it will drive me nuts. The Nexus One hardware never annoys me."

Agreed. All answers are personal though. I'm only speaking from my experience, no one elses, as you are. That goes without saying.

What I'd really like is the Android os on my iPhone. :D

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat.

Just before I press the button on the Nexus:

Did I read somewhere that the Desire has better sound quality through the headphones?
How long does the Nexus take to get to the UK and to my door?
Does that little extra RAM in the Desire make any difference?

cheers all

A colleague of mine has an N1 and we've done a bit of comparing with my Desire, so:

Sound quality difference, not that I've noticed.
From how long it took for my colleague about five working days. Be aware though that you'll get a tax bill on top of the price you pay online.
RAM, not that I've noticed.

There's not a lot to choose between the Desire and the N1, but put it this way. He's currently got android 2.2 and I'm at the mercy of HTC.

Reactions: eric1589
Upvote 0
A colleague of mine has an N1 and we've done a bit of comparing with my Desire, so:

Sound quality difference, not that I've noticed.
From how long it took for my colleague about five working days. Be aware though that you'll get a tax bill on top of the price you pay online.
RAM, not that I've noticed.

There's not a lot to choose between the Desire and the N1, but put it this way. He's currently got android 2.2 and I'm at the mercy of HTC.
One of the biggest advantages that make me want the N1. Getting updates first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones