• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One: Thoughts and Persuasion

eipee73

Android Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2009
Pittsburgh
Currently I am rocking a BlackBerry Tour with Verizon...this is an Android forum...that means I need help.

I'm looking to move into an Android phone and the Nexus One looks like it may be the phone for me, but I was hoping to get some thoughts and persuasion from the current Nexus One owners. I wanted to wait a bit until you guys had them in hand for a while to get real opinions after some of the excitement has worn off. I am not overly concerned regarding the 3G connectivity issues as I will be picking up a phone on Verizon and obviously since it's not out yet there may not even be any.

Please let me know your thoughts on:

-the capacitive buttons
-the trackball
-the sensitivity and accuracy of the screen
-the battery life
-the speed of multitasking / day to day use

Any other information that you would like to provide would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to be as persuasive in either direction as you'd like as I am looking for subjective opinions. I look forward to hearing all of your input.

Thanks in advance,
eipee73

Currently I am rocking a BlackBerry Tour with Verizon...this is an Android forum...that means I need help.

-the capacitive buttons
-the trackball
-the battery life

eipee73

-the capacitive buttons

8/10

-the trackball

9/10

9/10

-the battery life

8/10

10/10

Capacitive Buttons might even be a 9/10 but I put in a screen cover so they became a little tiny bit less sensitive. Trackball and screen are as good as it gets. Battery life is good for a smartphone, lasts all day with heavy use. Day usage is 10 out of 10, no issues.
I am not biased, I had a lot of phones I just really like this one and I will stick to it.

Upvote 0

-the capacitive buttons
-the trackball
-the battery life

For starters, I love this phone and would not change it for anything. But still...

Capacitive buttons (do you mean the soft keys at the bottom? If so...): they're alright. You have to touch near the top of them to get them to work, but once you've done it a couple of times you automatically touch there.

The big problem with it is typing on the keyboard whilst holding the phone portrait. I can't count the number of times I've accidentally pressed the 'home' button instead of space.

Trackball: lovely. I've never had one before. It does the job perfectly, great for selecting text or navigating to a spot in a message to do a quick correction.

Screen sensitivity/accuracy: awesome. My boyf has an older HTC phone that you near enough need to punch the screen to get it to respond. All presses on the Nexus are dealt with immediately, even if just a light touch.

Battery life: I have wi-fi and sync on all day, text quite a bit, browse loads, play lots of (non-intensive) games and it'll last around 1.5 - 2 days. I also keep '2G only' checked because I don't need my phone straining for 3G signal when I have wi-fi, so that works in my favour. I am in a poor signal area, and when looking at what's eating the battery it's always 'cell standby'. I reckon I could get three days if I wasn't living where I am.

Multitasking speed: excellent. No lag.

Conclusion: GET IT!!!!

Oh, and further thoughts in its favour. If you're thinking of getting an Android phone and just don't know which one, I would recommend this one for sure, the bonus being OTA updates come straight from Google, not from the manufacturer or the carrier. To me, this was the deciding factor.

Upvote 0
The big problem with it is typing on the keyboard whilst holding the phone portrait. I can't count the number of times I've accidentally pressed the 'home' button instead of space.

get swype. now i don't want to type in landscape ever. this prog has basically saved the n1. before swype i was starting to get really frustrated with using the touch screen keyboard.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, this is the best phone on the market today.

-the capacitive buttons - I love having these buttons, instead on screen soft buttons. The back button is always in the same place. Some have complained about their responsiveness, but you just need to get used to them. If you just try to press them you may miss the "touch area". I have found that if you place your finger just below the button and swipe upwards you will hit it every time. Once you do this a few times, it will be second nature.

-the trackball - I don't use it a lot, but I like when I do.

-the sensitivity and accuracy of the screen - This has been great so far.

-the battery life - Good, but not great. I would say after a deep cycle, it is on par with the iPhone 3g. I don't know about the iPhone 3gs, as I have not owned one.

-the speed of multitasking / day to day use - The speed is amazing, multitasking is also great. I could not go pack to a phone that does not multitask.

Upvote 0
For starters, I love this phone and would not change it for anything. But still...

Capacitive buttons (do you mean the soft keys at the bottom? If so...): they're alright. You have to touch near the top of them to get them to work, but once you've done it a couple of times you automatically touch there.

Trackball: lovely. I've never had one before. It does the job perfectly, great for selecting text or navigating to a spot in a message to do a quick correction.

Screen sensitivity/accuracy: awesome. My boyf has an older HTC phone that you near enough need to punch the screen to get it to respond. All presses on the Nexus are dealt with immediately, even if just a light touch.

Battery life: I have wi-fi and sync on all day, text quite a bit, browse loads, play lots of (non-intensive) games and it'll last around 1.5 - 2 days. I also keep '2G only' checked because I don't need my phone straining for 3G signal when I have wi-fi, so that works in my favour. I am in a poor signal area, and when looking at what's eating the battery it's always 'cell standby'. I reckon I could get three days if I wasn't living where I am.

Multitasking speed: excellent. No lag.

Conclusion: GET IT!!!!

Oh, and further thoughts in its favour. If you're thinking of getting an Android phone and just don't know which one, I would recommend this one for sure, the bonus being OTA updates come straight from Google, not from the manufacturer or the carrier. To me, this was the deciding factor.

I definitely am on the brink of just making up my mind that this one is for me. Your comments are definitely helpful. The capacitive buttons (yes you were correct as to what I was referring to) have kind of scared me as I have seen some negative reviews about those. Otherwise this phone really does look fantastic, I really wish I could get one in hand before I purchase, but I may just go for it. Thank you very much for your input, if you think of any other quirks or anything that you think would be helpful please feel free to drop it by me. Thanks again! :D

Upvote 0
In my opinion, this is the best phone on the market today.

-the capacitive buttons - I love having these buttons, instead on screen soft buttons. The back button is always in the same place. Some have complained about their responsiveness, but you just need to get used to them. If you just try to press them you may miss the "touch area". I have found that if you place your finger just below the button and swipe upwards you will hit it every time. Once you do this a few times, it will be second nature.

-the trackball - I don't use it a lot, but I like when I do.

-the sensitivity and accuracy of the screen - This has been great so far.

-the battery life - Good, but not great. I would say after a deep cycle, it is on par with the iPhone 3g. I don't know about the iPhone 3gs, as I have not owned one.

-the speed of multitasking / day to day use - The speed is amazing, multitasking is also great. I could not go pack to a phone that does not multitask.

I agree that not being able to multitask is a huge setback. I have an iPod touch, but have never had an iPhone (I kind of despise it haha). Have you used the Droid or any other recent Android phones? I'm just interested to know how they stack up against each other.

Thanks for your input!

Upvote 0
If you're switching from a Blackberry, the two things you need to know are that there aren't any decent task list managers, and notifications (e.g. appointments) only sound off once.

So if you're used to doing complicated task management such as repeating tasks, or used to your phone beeping until you silence it when a meeting alert goes off, be warned.

Once I can find a solution to these two requirements, I'll be a happy camper.

Upvote 0
If you're switching from a Blackberry, the two things you need to know are that there aren't any decent task list managers, and notifications (e.g. appointments) only sound off once.

So if you're used to doing complicated task management such as repeating tasks, or used to your phone beeping until you silence it when a meeting alert goes off, be warned.

Once I can find a solution to these two requirements, I'll be a happy camper.

That is very good information in general! Thanks for the input. I personally don't care too much about the task list managers, and my BlackBerry sometimes annoys the hell out of me because it won't shut up haha. I do think this is good information to know and I hope that someone else gets value out of knowing this as I have not heard this anywhere else. Thanks for putting in your .02!

Upvote 0
be ready for

-over heats
-dust under the screen
-screen problems in general
if ur cool with those ur set dude.

I have heard nothing of overheating problems. Did you experience this firsthand?

I have heard about the dust under the screen thing, but I didn't think that was happening to everyone.

What do you classify "screen problems in general" as?

Upvote 0
my buddys nexus overheated....... died...

go check out the thread its on the 1st page ....nearly everyone has dust issues....

and the screen will go insane sometimes and you gotta do a batt pull....

im currently between the bold 9700 and nexus.....

That's crazy...I'm hoping the CDMA version isn't into full production right now and they can make minor modifications to fix the dust...I'd imagine the screen insanity will be fixed via OTA software update. The overheating is a nasty issue though, that screams that there's not enough cooling for the parts in there and that it will be obscenely common.

How was his experience with getting a replacement?

Upvote 0
my buddys nexus overheated....... died...

go check out the thread its on the 1st page ....nearly everyone has dust issues....

and the screen will go insane sometimes and you gotta do a batt pull....

im currently between the bold 9700 and nexus.....

You can't say that "nearly everyone has dust issues" going by a thread that is about dust issues. I have one spec of dust under mine (so granted, it is possible) but it's only visible in bright daylight, and only then if I have the phone nearly touching my eye. It is a little disappointing though. Covered by warranty nonetheless.

I've never had to do a battery pull on mine to fix screen issues as I've never had a screen issue. Please don't just comment on issues you've just read about or non-verifiable stories from your "buddy" unless you've experienced something yourself.

Upvote 0
That's crazy...I'm hoping the CDMA version isn't into full production right now and they can make minor modifications to fix the dust...I'd imagine the screen insanity will be fixed via OTA software update. The overheating is a nasty issue though, that screams that there's not enough cooling for the parts in there and that it will be obscenely common.

How was his experience with getting a replacement?

eipee... I'm not sure you should listen too closely to this person. They have ben trolling on other threads. I haven't heard anything about overheating phones.

Upvote 0
eipee... I'm not sure you should listen too closely to this person. They have ben trolling on other threads. I haven't heard anything about overheating phones.

Thanks for the clarification. As is everyone, I am influenced by experienced peers, but at the same time that isn't my only source of info. I assume that if there were failures with frequent overheating that I would have seen something on a tech resource by now.

Gotta love the trolls lol thanks again.

BTW as a general comment, please no one try to mention the Moto Devour, that thing looks completely worthless....

Upvote 0

and since youve never read a thing based on overheatng means it doesing happen lol? try reading the actual support forums on google lol... ull eat every word.......im no troll.

i have 2 friends with nexus and 1 with a droid. 1 of the nexus users has a flag unit at that. so yes i believe i know more than you about pretty much every aspect.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification. As is everyone, I am influenced by experienced peers, but at the same time that isn't my only source of info. I assume that if there were failures with frequent overheating that I would have seen something on a tech resource by now.

Gotta love the trolls lol thanks again.

BTW as a general comment, please no one try to mention the Moto Devour, that thing looks completely worthless....

go to the google help forums. theres over 12 overheating stories including someone who was at the movies and jumped up when the device burned in his pocket.

Upvote 0
don't listen to adamlovesu, he appears to be a troll.

-the capacitive buttons
-the trackball
-the battery life

I find the capacitive buttons a 6/10. While I nearly always hit them when I want to hit them, it bothers the **** out of me when I hit them accidentally. That happens once in a while as suggested by oniongirl.

I'm happy with everything else. One downside for me is about something you didn't inquire about: I'd like to have a store (similar to the iTunes store) that allows me to download movies and TV series. Movies look stunning on the N1 and I'm too lazy--and have legal concerns--about transcoding stuff myself.

Upvote 0
don't listen to adamlovesu, he appears to be a troll.

I find the capacitive buttons a 6/10. While I nearly always hit them when I want to hit them, it bothers the **** out of me when I hit them accidentally. That happens once in a while as suggested by oniongirl.

I'm happy with everything else. One downside for me is about something you didn't inquire about: I'd like to have a store (similar to the iTunes store) that allows me to download movies and TV series. Movies look stunning on the N1 and I'm too lazy--and have legal concerns--about transcoding stuff myself.

i think your post is trollish sir.

kindly explain what is so troll about my posts on this thread?

Upvote 0
i think your post is trollish sir.

kindly explain what is so troll about my posts on this thread?

you are the definition of a troll. having nothing better to say and check every post to see if someone writes something about you and spreading rumors and trying to provoke or get a response out of people. like you mentioned in the other post you started, you dont even own one, so how would you know of the pros/cons asked about in this thread. maybe you're just a bored college student

Upvote 0
you are the definition of a troll. having nothing better to say and check every post to see if someone writes something about you and spreading rumors and trying to provoke or get a response out of people. like you mentioned in the other post you started, you dont even own one, so how would you know of the pros/cons asked about in this thread. maybe you're just a bored college student

i have 2 friends with nexus and one with a flag unit who hashad the dev since october?!im simply spreading what ive learned over the past few mts........ a troll is someone who provokes arguments on the internet? like what your oding now?

im not in college yet.

spread rumors? you mean stuff ive read in other forums and on this one? try reading the actual google forum oneday. ud be surprised. i dont need to own a device to knwo anythign about it when i had 2 friends that use it extensivly.

you know nothing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones