1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Nexus One to GNex?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mikemaddux, May 3, 2012.

1. mikemaddux

mikemaddux Newbie
    None

May 18, 2010
    Musician, Software Developer
    Austin, TX, USA
    Hello, All,

I apologize if this question has already been dealt with - please just direct me to the proper thread.

I am a Nexus One owner and like it very much, but I'm starting to get tempted by the unlocked GNex that Google is selling. I'm interested in the new OS and the better, larger screen, but the main reason I am considering a new phone is that the small internal memory in my Nexus One has gotten almost full so that updates are failing and there's not much that I can remove. Either the app is essential to me, or it is not uninstallable.

One of the main things I like about the Nexus One is the call quality. I am a bit hard of hearing and so I really need excellent call volume and quality. The Nexus one has noise cancellation which supposedly helps this.

So I'm wondering if anyone who has switched from Nexus One to GNex can fill me in on how the two phones compare in call quality.

The other is is quality of customer/technical support. I have found HTC to be excellent and with fair policies. Can anyone compare Samsung tech support to HTC?

Thanks!

Mike Maddux

Advertisement

2. sourmilk

sourmilk Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2009
    i switched from the n1(tmo) to gnex(vzw). although i haven't done a side by side comparison, i feel the gnex call volume is louder. i always felt that call volume was on the low side on the n1. not sure if call quality is actually better though, it might be slightly worse. if needed you could always install the volume+ app if you need louder volume.

not sure about tech support since i've never contacted htc or samsung, but based on what i've read on forums htc seems much better and samsung tech support is kinda non-existent.

the screen and speed of the gnex is really on another level compared to the n1 and not having to worry about app storage is a huge plus. the gnex does have it's own issues though as you can read on these forums. the only things i miss from the n1 is the trackball and stability.

3. mikemaddux

mikemaddux Newbie
    None

May 18, 2010
    Musician, Software Developer
    Austin, TX, USA
    Thanks, Mr. Milk,

I also like the trackball and the stability! It's mainly that storage issue.

4. temporary101

temporary101 Member
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Student
    Netherlands
    I switched from the N1 to the Gnex and I love everything about it......at first I thought the increased size would bother me...but now I can't live without the increased size....
    Possibly the only things I miss about my N1 is that is was compatible with my favorite live wallpaper (that one isn't supported in 4.0 :S) and the headset that came with it...it had that inline remote...that the Gnex doesn;t have...altough I bought one and use that one instead of the stock one....AND the charger cable of the N1 was longer, which I needed to have my phone plugged in and on my nighstand....have to use an extension cable now :S (my bro is using my N1 now with the charger cable)

Other than that.....Gnex is a definite improvement.

p.s. I never removed my SD-card so I don;t care that the Gnex doesn;t have a SD card.

5. dalesponyrider

dalesponyrider Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    I moved from N1 to GNex too and love everything about it. I find the call quality absolutely fine, probably better than the N1. The larger screen is fab and when I go back to the N1, which my husband now has, I struggle with the smaller screen. As for the cable length being shorter, I just use my old N1 cable on the bedside table,where a longer one is needed, and the shorter GNex one downstairs.

If you change, let us know how it goes!

6. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    VZW Gnex call quality is a definite improvement from my TMO N1.

The only things I really miss from the N1

- Size (Gnex is BIG)
    - Buttons (I like the software buttons, but they picked the wrong 3 heh :) )
    - Style (not as major a point, I like the style of the Gnex, but I LOVED the N1 style)

Tags: