• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One to Sensation or Galaxy S2?

ironass

Extreme Android User
Aug 17, 2010
Cotswolds, England
I have been pondering on the HTC Sensation since its announcement but the more I read, the more doubts I'm having.

Since, by their very nature, phones are not "future proof" and are constantly evolving it seems to make sense to me to get the handset that has most under the hood so to speak. That way I figure that it will be up for Android firmware updates for awhile (unlike the SE X10) and also Cyanogen Mod's.

I have been comparing the HTC Sensation side-by-side with the Samsung Galaxy S 2 here:-

HTC Sensation vs. Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II - GSMArena.com

and notice that the Galaxy seems to have the edge on the Sensation in several areas...

Weight: Galaxy 116g Sensation 148g

Display: Galaxy Super AMOLED Sensation S-LCD

RAM: Galaxy 1Gb Sensation 768Mb

Phone Storage: Galaxy 16/32Gb Sensation 1Gb

HSDPA: Galaxy 21 Mbps Sensation 14.4 Mbps

Secondary camera: Galaxy 2MP Sensation VGA

CPU: Galaxy Mali-400MP GPU Sensation Adreno 220 GPU

Battery: Galaxy 1650 mAh Sensation 1520 mAh

In fairness, the Sensation does seem to have a better (more solid) build quality and more screen pixels as well as the Sense3 UI eye candy.

My question is, owning the HTC Nexus One, modded with CM7, which I am over the moon about and having experienced Samsung phones on symbian, some years ago (not in a good way), I wondered if any of the above differentials in spec's would, or should, sway anyone to either handset and why?

Alternatively, is there something now, or in the near future, that eclipses both of these. For instance... a new Nexus?

It is a tough choice. I would have to see both of them in person, specially the screen on the HTC Sensation. But knowing the build quality of both companies I would go with HTC right now. There products should be the standard of build quality. What also might come into play is that Samsung said they are releasing their phones with the bootloader unlocked and it seems like you like to run custom roms.

Someone, somewhere on the internet said the N3 will be released around xmas time by LG, but I think it's way to early to tell.

Upvote 0
I also really don't mind Sense 3.0. From the demo HTC did when they annouced the HTC Sensation it looked pretty good (although I still would like the option to run stock android). I don't know how bad you want a new phone (I am just getting over the new phone bug, couple of people on this forum talked me out of getting a NS and waiting a bit) but I would be curious to see what happens with Ice Cream. I am going to go ahead and place a bet that a new Nexus phone will be released when Ice Cream comes out. If it's the major UI overhaul that GB was suppose to be I think the hardware for the Nexus line will need to be stepped up.

Upvote 0
I think I'm more confused than ever.

haha, the indecision of phone shopping. I think if we could, we'd just buy 'em all ;) What's the return policy like for you? If you can try one and then try the other for a couple of days to get an idea, that'd be my suggestion!

Not sure I like the shape of the Samsung. One of the things I like about the nexus is no-one mistakes it for an i thingy :D
Mine was mistaken for an iPhone...and I didn't have a case :/

I think I read somewhere that the Sensation will be the most locked down of the HTC phones. So that should also play into your assessment.

Upvote 0
I would love to know what you think about the phone, if you remember try to keep me posted.
Well I have it, it's been rooted, Clockworked and mostly de-LG'd.

Brilliant bit of kit! It is blazingly fast. You wouldn't think just zipping about the phone could be much quicker, but it is :D

Build quality is very good, feels solid, a little weighty, nothing creaks or rattles. The metal strip down the back is going to be a bit Marmite, but it works for me, kinda reminds me of the N1 in a way.

It has 1.5GB(ish) free on /data for apps which is just epic, frankly. Not likely to get the dreaded notification again for a long time.

The screen being LCD (an IPS one, a l

Upvote 0
BAM!!

tmp38647175.png

Upvote 0
I'm going for the Galaxy S2 if it has a open bootloader. I'd rather see Samsung truly release open source drivers of the phone, then it would be perfect.

Sensation is a piece of crap phone if you ask me. I hate the aluminum body .. one bad drop and it's all bent up, 1 GB of storage???, qHD display is probably crap compared with SuperAMOLED+, I don't even wanna talk about the battery and encrypted/signed bootloader on the sensation, etc etc....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones