• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One Verizon Pricing

turnerw

Jan 6, 2010
SC
Hey guys new here, however been reading the forums gathering info for months. Looking to move into the smartphone arena and definitely going Android on Verizon (existing family plan member for years). Well I was all set to pick up the droid but decided to hold off until the end of this week in case some big info hit. Well when I saw the Nexus One coming to the "V" I was sold, and planned on waiting until it became available to Verizon before using my upgrade.

Well then I read this today. Google will directly sell Verizon's Nexus One, not Verizon (Phone Arena News)

Which to me basically points to the same type of pricing structure that existing T-Mobile customers are being forced into. Now I am not so sure that the Nexus one is for me. I like the phone but not for the the $529.00 unsubsidized price. What does everyone else read into this news above (that is if its actually true), Am I reading too much into it?

I would assume that would be for new customers though just as Google/T-Mobile is doing.

After reading in the Nexus Forum it seems that existing T-Mobile customers are being charged $279.00. Only new customers get it at the $179 rate.

Based on the article I posted above it appears Google is handling all of this and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Verizon I can only assume this will happen to Verizon customers as well.

Upvote 0
I don't think Google can get away with the same pricing structure that they used for Tmobile. Its one thing to gouge Tmobile customers when the best they have is the MyTouch3G. But on Verizon with the Droid? No.
If Google is going to tell members on a Verizon family plan they have to pay $530 for a phone, how many are going to be willing to pay $330 more then the Droid for the N1? It aint that much better to warrant 300+ more dollars. Same thing with the upgrade for existing customers. $280 for the N1 for a 2 year contract (with no local support) or $230 for the Droid on a 1 year contract (with local support)? I'll take $230 for the win.
This may also be why the rumors of another HTC phone to Verizon won't die.

Upvote 0
Kind of a similar situation ill be getting myself into here soon. The holiday return period is over soon and I was planning to return my droid (which I got using my free upgrade so it was 200 bucks) and switching back to my BB until the Nexus One drops.

My issues are if ill be able to a) use my upgrade to get the N1 for 200 bucks and b) if Ill be able to add it onto the family plan im currently using.

Upvote 0
I would assume that would be for new customers though just as Google/T-Mobile is doing.

After reading in the Nexus Forum it seems that existing T-Mobile customers are being charged $279.00. Only new customers get it at the $179 rate.

Based on the article I posted above it appears Google is handling all of this and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Verizon I can only assume this will happen to Verizon customers as well.

yeah but thats a t-mobile thing...they always charge way more for upgrades than new customers. Verizon charges the same amount for upgrades and new accounts.....they give a crap that you are staying with them. Once you start service with T-Mobile you no longer exist.

Upvote 0
Does anybody know if Google will be able to honor early upgrades? I know Verizon will sometimes let you sneak in an upgrade a month or 2 before your upgrade date but I'm not sure Google will do the same. I have an upgrade coming in April but I want the Nexus as soon as it is available for Verizon.

If I remember right Vodafone said they just needed to get their customer records on line with Google to start selling the N1. I would imagine Tmobile and Verizon do the same and hence if your account is in the upgrade time frame it should be fine.

Upvote 0
yeah but thats a t-mobile thing...they always charge way more for upgrades than new customers. Verizon charges the same amount for upgrades and new accounts.....they give a crap that you are staying with them. Once you start service with T-Mobile you no longer exist.

I would imagine the only thing that would change Google's pricing for Verizon is the presence of the Droid and possibly the HTC incredible as alternatives to the N1. But if there is no family upgrade option for the N1 I wont be getting it.

Upvote 0
I don't think Google can get away with the same pricing structure that they used for Tmobile. Its one thing to gouge Tmobile customers when the best they have is the MyTouch3G. But on Verizon with the Droid? No.
If Google is going to tell members on a Verizon family plan they have to pay $530 for a phone, how many are going to be willing to pay $330 more then the Droid for the N1? It aint that much better to warrant 300+ more dollars. Same thing with the upgrade for existing customers. $280 for the N1 for a 2 year contract (with no local support) or $230 for the Droid on a 1 year contract (with local support)? I'll take $230 for the win.
This may also be why the rumors of another HTC phone to Verizon won't die.

I completely agree, with the whole pricing structure your saying. But the question is, how much cheaper will they sell it for off of the $530? they really need to knock it down. I think it'll be coming out in a few weeks but they need to sell if for at least a hundred dollars if not more off because the droid is on the network and so is the eris (which isn't as fast but it is FREE!) so there is so much competition with other android phones that they need to sell it a lot cheaper unlocked. Especially since the $175 on Tmobile was only for new customers. :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones