• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus One VoIP sound quality is very poor

Quick update, many people are reporting the exact same poor quality VoIP calls on the Nexus One phone compared to other phones (like the Droid, for example):

VoIP quality on the Nexus One is terrible. - Google Mobile Help

If anyone has similar problems please post so people don't get misinformed that a data only T-Mobile plan will allow them to to use VoIP calls on the Nexus One. The VoIP quality on the Nexus One is terrible.

Upvote 0
One of my main reason to get this phone is VOIP such as calling people using voip. I will not use the headset with VOIP. Does Nexus one disconnect alot when using VOIP without the headset.
My main reason of getting android phone: Google Navigation turn by turn for free, android apps, VOIP.
so should I just go with motorola milestone for better VOIP quality or wait for google nexus one to release a fix for this VOIP problem? (I will be using it with T-mobile Network (USA) )
VOIP on nexus one seems to be hardware issue. Might be software issue due to OS 2.1. I don't know.

Upvote 0
Is anyone else having VOIP quality issues?

I am so dissapointed in the NEXUS ONE for VOIP quality. It is terrible! My G-1 had excellent VOIP quality through headset, ear speaker and regular speaker. The Nexus is terrible through ear speaker, regular speaker and a headset! Regular phone calls sound just fine so I don't think it is so much the phone but the voice compression being used. I am setup using Sipdroid and the incoming volume is very low and tiney sounding. Outgoing voice is very low on the other side too so I am 99.9% sure it is the compression technology built into the software.

Most of my calls are through VOIP so this sucks big time! Hope a developer can maybe figure out a fix....but maybe this is not something that can be fixed?

Upvote 0
Using gizmo and google voice on my brand new nexus one I had at least 3 or 4 conversations.. one lasting 20 minutes. This is without a headset and through the ear piece. Both incoming and outgoing.. and the 20minute one was driving on I4 60-70mph in Florida. I had a spot where it dropped... and another couple spots where it got a little broken up, but the voice quality using sipdroid 1.3.3 (which was just released) was only slightly worse than the mytouch 3g i bought to test the 3g quality in my area for 2 weeks. This could easily be due to my settings on sipdroid, and its mostly just that the volume for both hearing and receiving (for the other person) seemed low. I have since upped the mic and the earpeice gain in the advanced settings and I'll let everyone know how it goes. This again was over 3g, although the one call with wifi sounded about the same.. and without compression as this version does not allow me to enable compression.

Just to recap: Its pretty much the SAME as the myTouch3g which i previously owned. Your voice quality over 3g/wifi is not going to be as good as your normal voice calling.. but it works and i'll take it.

Upvote 0
so how do you get into the advance settings to change the mic gain?

Hit the button to the right of the <- (back) button which is all the way on the left. Gives you 4 choices.. go to settings... its under advanced options. Test it out with someone first as it says it might cause an echo. With the mytouch3g i had to lower the gain cause of echo.. so increasing might cause one.. so like i said test it out. I think there's a gizmo test number, which is basically just a loopback.

Also I forgot to mention background noise is pretty apparent on the phone with sip droid. For instance the other person said it was noisy when i went over a bridge/overpass (was going 60-70mph and this is on 3g) so it seems the noise canceling mic is just disabled with sip droid.

Upvote 0
The Nexus One call quality over VOIP is not poor. It actually sounds better than my Samsung Alias depending on the configuration I use. SipAgent, SipDroid, Fring, and Nimbuzz all had ok to good call quality.

The comparison made between Droid and N1 on the topic of VoIP call quality so early in the N1's life on the market isn't a fair comparison. Droid was out for 2 months and VoIP software was updated to work better for Droid. If you were to compare now, I don't think the difference would be as noticeable.

Upvote 0
The Nexus One call quality over VOIP is not poor. It actually sounds better than my Samsung Alias depending on the configuration I use. SipAgent, SipDroid, Fring, and Nimbuzz all had ok to good call quality.

The comparison made between Droid and N1 on the topic of VoIP call quality so early in the N1's life on the market isn't a fair comparison. Droid was out for 2 months and VoIP software was updated to work better for Droid. If you were to compare now, I don't think the difference would be as noticeable.

This is a good point. Sipdroid i know I've looked at their change long and seen plenty of patches come through that fix issues specifically with the nexus one. It also doesn't help that it was the first phone with 2.1. Even though its not much different than 2.0.1 it's still somewhat different on the back end.

Upvote 0
I have a Google Voice and Gizmo5 account and I live in the US. Not sure of the status of invites or accounts but you could buy a Voice invite and a activated but unused Gizmo5 account on ebay. Once you setup your gizmo5 account you can put no money on it and forget it. Then in Google Voice just make all calls ring back to your Gizmo5 number. Follow one of the many guides to setup Sipdroid to get a green dot on the staus bar of your N1. Then set a bookmark in the N1 browser to the Call and SMS page of the desktop version of Google Voice. When you start putting in a number it prompts you for the contacts you have in Voice. Once you hit call it rings your N1 via sip (incoming Sip calls are free on Gizmo5) and then connects to the number you entered. The cost is free in the US for calls placed through Voice. The quality is excellent, with minimal lag (much better than Skype out and fring) and the price is right. For incoming calls give out your Voice number. I always wait for the transcribed text of the voicemail before I callback.

Upvote 0
cover_image_310492.jpg
cover_image_2395.jpg
cover_image_308480.jpg
download It's Kind of a Funny Story avi movie, download It's Kind of a Funny Story avi movie download It's Kind of a Funny Story avi movie

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones