• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus prime or Epic 4g Touch?

Hi, I'm in the hunt for my first android phone as I've been on an LG Flip Phone with Verizon for the past 4 years. I need to advice on whether I should wait on the Nexus Prime or get the Epic 4g Touch.

I don't know too much about smartphones, though I've learned some things over the past few months. I like how the Nexus Prime might have a 1.5ghz processor, and SuperAmoled HD screen and resolution. It's mainly the HD screen that I want, but will it really be better than the Epic 4g Touch's Super Amoled Plus screen at a lower resolution?

Other than that, how much better will the Nexus UI be than the TouchWiz interface? Is it going to be similar to the Nexus S 4g? Do you know if the UI will having a lot of customizing options?

Thanks for your input!

These questions are very specific, which is good, but there is no officially verified information about the Nexus Prime. It's hard to answer you. All we can do is hope for the best about the Nexus Prime. We should know on 10/11 during the Samsung event.

Upvote 0
I'm going to return the epic 4g touch and wait for the prime announcement. Only one reason. The screen.

e4t is wvga and the trend in smart phones seems to be heading towards 720p. That means, many of the android apps are going to be optimized for 720p screens and the WVGA screen is going to look outdated real fast.

Prime is rumored to have NFC, bigger screen, first to get updates, etc. which are all nice bonuses. If I'm going to be stuck with a phone for 2 years, I'm going to be picky...Tech is moving fast, but I don't want my phone outdated even before the return period. Samsung should have released SG2 in US in June.

Upvote 0
I'm going to return the epic 4g touch and wait for the prime announcement. Only one reason. The screen.

e4t is wvga and the trend in smart phones seems to be heading towards 720p. That means, many of the android apps are going to be optimized for 720p screens and the WVGA screen is going to look outdated real fast.

Prime is rumored to have NFC, bigger screen, first to get updates, etc. which are all nice bonuses. If I'm going to be stuck with a phone for 2 years, I'm going to be picky...Tech is moving fast, but I don't want my phone outdated even before the return period. Samsung should have released SG2 in US in June.

Though SGS2 has WVGA screen, it has non-pentile Super AMOLED+ screen, which is highest quality AMOLED screen on mobile device. HD Super AMOLED on Prime will have higher resolution but it's pentile matrix screen. So there is some trade off between two to let you know.

Also if you are looking to move to verizon from sprint, beware that you will have tiered data plan. Not sure if and when Sprint will get Nexus Prime. I'm with unlimited data plan on verizon, so that will be grandfathered with new phone like many of us here.

Upvote 0
As of now, do we even know if the Prime (or whatever it may be dubbed) will arrive on any carriers other than verizon?
I get constant updates on Smartphones from Appy Geek, and all the articles seem to make it look as if it will arrive on all carriers. The only reason I have yet to upgrade my EVO to the Epic Touch is because I'm hoping it does indeed arrive on Sprints network soon.
Are there any details or just rumor and we have to wait until Oct 11th?

Upvote 0
Though SGS2 has WVGA screen, it has non-pentile Super AMOLED+ screen, which is highest quality AMOLED screen on mobile device. HD Super AMOLED on Prime will have higher resolution but it's pentile matrix screen. So there is some trade off between two to let you know.

Also if you are looking to move to verizon from sprint, beware that you will have tiered data plan. Not sure if and when Sprint will get Nexus Prime. I'm with unlimited data plan on verizon, so that will be grandfathered with new phone like many of us here.

what would be the difference in quality between pentile and non-pentile Super Amoled? It seems as if HD Super Amoled sounds better, but will it really be better than the Epic 4g Touch's SuperAmoled Plus?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones