1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nexus Protect Project Fi

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by noahj1102, Jan 14, 2016.

1. noahj1102

noahj1102 Well-Known Member

Anyone purchase the insurance for your 6P through Project Fi?

Just got my phone today and I'm wondering what the consensus is on whether the insurance is a worthy option?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bob52r

bob52r Member

on project Fi:
    t mobile band 12 advanced LTE? wifi calling? Are they working well?

3. noahj1102

No idea what that might have to do with the insurance for the phone

4. bob52r

bob52r Member

brilliant!!! i am asking a different question about the 6P and project Fi

5. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

That would be better served in its own thread. :)

@noahj1102 Whether or not the insurance is worth it is likely to be a personal judgment. Do you have a history of breaking phones?

6. noahj1102

Not particularly. But accidents happen you know.

7. codesplice

That they do. Granted, a lot of them can be avoided by installing a case and/or screen protector. It's kind of up to you for what route you want to go.

Google has a nice chart detailing some of the costs and rules associated with both Nexus Protect (for devices purchased from the Google Store) and Project Fi device protection (for devices purchased from Fi). They're similar, but not quite the same:

upload_2016-1-15_12-28-24.png

I've got a pretty good history of not destroying devices, so I didn't opt for insurance on my 6P. I did get insurance for the wife's 5X as she tends to be a bit rougher on her devices. Either route is valid; it's just up to you. :)

8. noahj1102

Appreciate your time. I guess I just wanted someone to say, "yes, get it". Not sure what I expected, lol.

I've (knock on wood) never damaged a phone myself. But wow, I so love this phone so far that I'm considering getting the extra insurance. I've already thrown a case on it as well.

You have 30 days after purchase to buy insurance, correct?

codesplice likes this.
  9. codesplice

For the Project Fi device protection, yes - assuming you purchased the device through Fi.

10. noahj1102

I did, thank you.

I also see that's on the chart you provided, duh. Thank you.

codesplice likes this.
  11. mogelijk

mogelijk Android Expert

As was mentioned, it really depends on you, how you treat phones, and your comfort level. I know people who drop their phones multiple times in a year, for those people it would seem to be a no brainer. Then again, I know people who buy new phones every year, so they don't have the same concern about their phone breaking, insurance does nothing for them.

It comes down to, how big a risk do you think it is that you might drop or bend (such as being in a pocket) your phone? I know some have concerns after seeing the bend videos, as well as the reports of people's 6P becoming slightly bent (will not lie completely flat when placed front side down on a table).

I'd say if you are unsure, then go ahead and purchase Fi Protect; one of the nice things about it is that you can cancel at any time. I can see many people just wanting it for a year, while the phone is "new", and as it gets older they cancel Fi Protect, as they start thinking they can buy one of the newer (and nicer) phones if they have an issue.

codesplice likes this.
  12. noahj1102

Decided to give it a go for $5 a month. I'll let it ride for a few months.

Thanks for the replies.

codesplice likes this.

Nexus 6P Forum

The Nexus 6P release date was September 2015. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 12MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 810 processor, and 3450mAh battery.

September 2015
Release Date
Reviews