1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Nexus S, 2.3.4 and Voodoo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mhickin, Jun 3, 2011.

1. mhickin

mhickin Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Hi All,

I have a nexus s running 2.3.3, with unlocked bootloader and a voodoo kernel.
    problem is that the 2.3.4 ota update is failing (I get a exclamation mark after a failed verification). Initial problems were with the incessant nagging about the update, but now it tries to automatically install the update, every morning at about 6am, meaning my phone is basically turning itself off every night.

Worse still is the fact that power button doesn't work after this, and neither does vol up+power, so I have remove the battery.

So, questions.

1. Can I just turn off this auto ota nonsense?
    2. Anyone know where I can get the stock 2.3.3 kernel so i can roll back and try the ota again?
    3. Is there a good rom I should go with that includes 2.3.4 and voodoo sound mods??

I installed voodoo for the sound, and it makes a hell of a difference, so I don't really want to lose that.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. quantumrand

quantumrand Android Expert
    None

Sep 2, 2009
    Im sure you realize that the problem is that the OTA updates can only be installed on completely stock firmware. The are probably hacks available to disable the OTA notifications (there were for previous version). Check on the xda developers forum.

If you want to update to 2.3.4, you still can. Simply use the full ROM version of the 2.3.4 update. Assuming you have the i9020T, you can use this file: http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespo/da8206299fe6.signed-soju-ota-121341.da820629.zip

You'll want to wipe the data and cache before installing it, and it will get rid of root. Rerooting is simple though, just fastboot the custom recovery image back on and flash superuser again.

You'll probably want to check out the latest Netarchy kernel for 2.3.4 as well (again on the xda dev forum). It has all of the Voodoo hacks included as well as overclocking tables should you want them and the ext4 hack. I recommend the BFS version.

3. mhickin

mhickin Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Thanks,

I am actually running the following:

Baseband: I9020XXKB1
    Kernel: 2.6.35.7-g1d030a7 curio@carton #Voodoo
    Build: GRI40

Could you point me in the right direction for the ROM?

Thanks again

4. quantumrand

quantumrand Android Expert
    None

Sep 2, 2009

Do you have the AMOLED screen or SLCD? If it's AMOLED, the link in my above post should work just fine.

5. mhickin

mhickin Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Thanks.
    It's AMOLED I think (I'm in the UK). Thanks for the tips. I have now rooted and am having fun trying out various ROMs. I think ultimately I'll end up back on the stock ROM you suggested though.

Thanks again,
    Mark

6. Ascalon

Ascalon Member
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    The seventh ring
    Was in the same boat as you mate and what I had to do was use Fastboot to push the ClockworkMod Recovery img file to the phone. Then I used it to install a stock 2.3.3 ROM and then the 2.3.4 ROM and then Fastboot again to send the root img file to root again.

It was a bit of a Faff, but I didn't lose any data.

[Here's the procedure I followed, shamelessly stolen from another site]
    Nexus S Android update to 2.3.4
    These are my quick notes after updating my Google Nexus S Android phone to the latest 2.3.4 release from this week. The main issue I had was that my phone was rooted, making the official update package fail with a

7. mhickin

mhickin Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    In the interests of helping anyone who might be stuck in the same situation, I followed the advice here. I rooted the phone, played around with a few roms and ultimately went back to the stock 2.3.4. All was then well.

Enjoyed the roms, but there is enough to tinker with in the stock roms to keep me happy.

Thanks.

Tags: