• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus S. Android 2.3.4. Assisted dialing +1, how?

tony_nexus

Aug 17, 2011
Hi,
I've had the Nexus S for a couple of weeks. My previous phone was a Windows Mobile 6.1 and I had the option of automatically prefixing numbers with "1" which took care of long distance dialling. I can't find a a similar setting in Android 2.3.4. I have come across mention of "assisted dialling" in other forums but I can't find that setting on my phone. Maybe it's called something else?

The only way I can add 1 is to try and dial the 10 digit number (North America). If it's long distance the call will fail. I then call again and if I do a long press, I get the option to edit the number at which point I add the "1". But that isn't an efficient way to dial. The other way is to look up the number, write it down, then dial 1+the number. Doesn't seem you should need to write anything down.

The phone is Nexus S from Telus (Canada)
thanks for any tips.

[Update] I found this light weight app that does the job, Prefixer.
Prefixer | AppBrain Android Market

All numbers are dialed as 1+xxx-yyy-zzzz and the cell company figures out if they are local or longdistance.

Prefixer also has the option to ask for confirmation on outgoing calls so useful when using Bluetooth as Android will dial right away with out confirmation like my Windows Mobile used to do. However, Prefixer's confirmation requires a screen press which kind of defeats the purpose of hands free. Seems handsfree dialing isn't well implemented in Android yet (2.3.4).

Reactions: RavenFox
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones