• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus S Crashes

CmdrBond

Mar 1, 2011
Android version:

Baseband version:
I9020XXKI1

Kernel version:
3.0.8-g6656123
android-build@vpbs1 #1
Thu Feb 2 16:56:02 PST 2012

Build number:
IMM76D

On several occasions since the upgrade to 4.0.4 my phone has crashed several times.

When using the search bar on the home screen, I get a few characters in and it just closes back to the home screen. I don't think this has anything to do with Thumb Keyboard (my keyboard of choice) as it happens with other on screen keyboards as well, although I have simply switched keyboards and not disabled Thumb Keyboard.

And occasionally the browser crashes back to the home screen, and not just the stock browser either. Opera Mobile also keeps crashing.

Lastly, for some reason my phone just resets, dropping my live wallpaper and going back to a photo of grass. The live wallpaper in question is Starfield 3D Live Wallpaper

Any suggestions - is this an issue with installed software or ICS?

And what can I do about it?

I am due an upgrade soon and am torn between the GNex and the SIII - but have decided to hold off a while - maybe even until the Note 2 or next Nexus device(s) are released and hoping Jellybean solves these issues.

Also, since the update I have noticed significant battery drain - I have never had 2-3 days out of my phone as I am a heavy browser. But I generally had a full day out of it without the battery warning. But now I get a low battery warning around 3/4 of the way through my day. And I cannot tell what is doing it.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones