• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus S deleting my .m3u files when it scans

Hello all. The Nexus S is my fourth Android phone. It is also the first Android giving me this problem.

Everytime I copy over music that contains an .m3u playlist file, the phone deletes the playlist file when I remove the phone from USB. I'm guessing this takes place during the media scanning process.

Why is it doing this, and how can I prevent it?

Nevermind, I found the answer here.

"Another issue you mention is that your M3U files are being deleted by Android. I can explain this one. When Android scans your SD card for media files, it reads the M3U files it finds and, if it can't find any tracks on your SD card corresponding to the file paths in an M3U file, it assumes the file is effectively empty and deletes it. To stop this from happening, place an empty file named ".nomedia" in the directory containing your M3U files. The media scanner will no longer touch this directory or any below it."

Reactions: sevine
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones