1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Nexus S on Sprint, SMS ringtone question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rscarawa, May 12, 2011.

1. rscarawa

rscarawa Well-Known Member
    None

May 12, 2011
    Dallas, NC
    I just received my Sprint Nexus S and have a question about changing ringtones. With incoming calls, this is pretty easy. What about custom ringtones for SMS? The supplied ringtones are too subtle. I am an IT professional and I need the SMS notice to wake me up at night on occasion. What can be done to get an SMS ringtone which is loud and long? Something that slaps you in the face!

Thx

Scot

Advertisement

2. B2L

B2L Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I use Zedge to find good SMS ringtones. It works great, and there are a ton of options to choose from.

rscarawa likes this.
  3. rscarawa

None

May 12, 2011
    Dallas, NC
    I downloaded the app. How do I know if some of these apps contain malware?

Also, It seems that the sound categories are not very granular. They are alert, phone and notification. Both email and SMS use notification for their sounds. Any way to get them to use different sounds? I get as much junk mail as the next person so I do not want the train whistle waking me up unless I get an SMS. Is this do-able?

4. quantumrand

quantumrand Android Expert
    None

Sep 2, 2009
    The best way to choose different sounds for SMS and E-Mail notifications is through their respective apps. For instance, I use Handcent SMS, and I can choose my SMS notification through it. I'm fairly certain the default Messages app can do this as well. Same goes for the Gmail and Email apps.

As far as malware is concerned, the best way to avoid it is to read the comments on an app before installing it. Also pay close attention to the "permissions" the app wants before installing. If you're downloading a live wallpaper app and it says it wants to be able to send SMS messages, I'd be skeptical about it.

rscarawa likes this.
  5. rscarawa

None

May 12, 2011
    Dallas, NC
    Thx for the heads up on the malware. Let me see what I can do about changing my sms ring tones.

FYI, I got the best ring tone for my wife's number. I am using Toccata and Fugue by Johann Bach. >:)

6. JMILLY87

JMILLY87 Lurker
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    If you want custom ringtones on you nexus hook it up to you computer when the option box comes up click the one with the folders in it and in the top right hand corner type in notifications and that file will pop up open it and then open a seperate window with the files you want as you notification ringtones and simple drag them into the folder if you need help email me at jmilly87@gmail.com

Tags: