• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus S problems and introduction

Rambokill

May 30, 2011
I am gonna buy a nexus s in 3 months so I searched for some problems and saw many problems with gps and would like to know if they fixed them.Also I would be happy to learn more about this phone like issues hardware ease of use and stuff like that.Thank you.Please respond.

I haven't had any issues with mine. GPS works fine. Any issues I do have I usually attribute to the alpha builds of CM7 that I use.

If you are thinking of buying one in 3 months (September timeframe) I would consider waiting a couple extra months until the next Nexus is released and the AT&T / T-mobile merger stuff is finalized. Just my opinion.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

Upvote 0
The problem is that I wont be having so much money for the next nexus.Also the problem with the reboots has been fixed with fw 2.3.4 I thing

2.3.4 didn't really fix it for me even when i am not tweaking things. My fiancee still gets reboots occasionally as well and she is on 2.3.4.

Fortunately, I've had no reboots since upgrading to 2.3.4.

dh

Upvote 0
2.3.4 didn't really fix it for me even when i am not tweaking things. My fiancee still gets reboots occasionally as well and she is on 2.3.4.
I was on v2.3.3 out of the box and never experienced a random reboot. I'm on v2.3.4 now and it's just as stable as a rock like before. If you experience reboots, it's probably hardware related, perhaps poor heatsinking for the CPU/chipset?

Upvote 0
I personally have never had any issues with the reboots. The GPS works great however there only a few complaints I have with the GPS: 1) The voice is too robotic, 2) It can sometimes take up to a minute or two to lock onto the location, and 3) It sometimes is about 10-15 feet behind on the location. I wish it had a 32GB option as well, or at least a MicroSD slot. Other than that it has been a perfect phone.

Upvote 0
I heard that nexus is using google maps and stuff like that.Does this mean that I have to have access to internet or is there agps.

Not sure what you mean. Every Android phone uses google maps. You just have to decide whether or not you want to use it, it is just like any other app. It does have agps, but that has nothing to do with data.

Upvote 0
so it doesnt require access to the internet with google maps cause it is already having the data on it.

Google maps is a cloud service, meaning you need an internet connection to download map data on the fly. As of somewhat recently, it is possible to use google maps for turn by turn directions without a data connection while driving to an extent. It can cache the directions at the beginning of the trip (such as while you have a wifi connection) and continue giving directions once the connection is lost; however, I don't know how long it can cache the data for or what might happen if you take a wrong turn and it needs to reroute.

There are GPS apps that download all of the map data to your phone so that you don't need a data connection while driving though.

One other small problem is that smartphones use AGPS, which uses your data connection to download current satellite location tables (and time tables since relativity is a major factor given their orbiting speeds). I'm not sure how effective the GPS will be without data at least at some point during the trip.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how effective the GPS will be without data at least at some point during the trip.
Even with older versions of Maps/Navigation data is not needed if you never veer off the initial routing. Data was only needed for re-routing info. With the more recent versions, some of the routing info is cached on the phone so data may not be needed for minor deviations from the initial route plan. But for large deviations or changes to the destination, a data connection of some kind (3G or wifi) is still required.

Upvote 0
What is the difference between the sprint version and tmobile version.My previous phone had problems with signal strength and I don't wanna have a phone with bad signal strength.Is the signal strength good?

I am not sure what the difference is other than different cell radios, but my t-mobile one is great with reception

Upvote 0
I wouldn't worry about the GPS being an issue, mine was fine. What you have to be concerned about if you're purchasing the Nexus S, is the voice search bug that has crippled many, many Nexus S phones to the point that 3G is not usable, thereby making any app requiring 3G service basically useless....
I think anyone considering the Nexus S should read the posts on the following forum before taking a gamble on this phone:
Nexus s Voice search major problem - Google Mobile Help

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones