• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus s....So jealous

Rumored Specs:

The device will be the Nexus S
It will be branded as a Google experience device featuring Android 2.3
It will have the same 4″ SAMOLED screen seen on the Galaxy S devices
It will feature the same Hummingbird processor from the Galaxy S handsets
It will be easily rootable like the Nexus One was
It will be at least GSM, unknown about carrier or CDMA
It will have no hard buttons on the face, similar to a Vibrant

:) ROMs should be EASILY ported to Galaxy S devices.

Upvote 0
I wouldnt hold my breath about them fixing the captivate or any other galaxy s phone, they are off to the next new phone. I am disappointed in myself for giving samsung benefit of the doubt, and now i am stuck with an phone that has non functioning gps.

In the end, Samsung are shooting themselves in the foot. To us, individually, the loss is $100-$200, to them it will be millions as a lot of people simply won't trust their devices. I know I'll never buy a Samsung product again.

Upvote 0
In the end, Samsung are shooting themselves in the foot. To us, individually, the loss is $100-$200, to them it will be millions as a lot of people simply won't trust their devices. I know I'll never buy a Samsung product again.

They should stick to make television and fridges. They really dont know what they are doing when it comes to phones. I just wish att offered an top end motorola or htc device. alas they only offer midend phones.

Upvote 0
I just wish att offered an top end motorola or htc device. alas they only offer midend phones.

I agree. verizion is doing good job with high end phones. Driod 2 is already getting Andriod 2.3 update, we dont have 2.2 also yet. They are getting have awesome future Android phones from Motorola and HTC.

ATT doesnt worry abt thier android phone line up to keep iPhone sales up. I want to see what happens to ATT once verizon get Iphone.

Upvote 0
I got a lot of heat when I returned my Captivate and got an iPhone4 but let me tell you I'm so glad I did. Not because Apple is better or anything but because I couldn't stand the BS with Samsung. I feel bad for the rest of you guys that spend a good chunk of cash on the Captivate, I've been there before and it's not a pleasant feeling.

The fact that Samsung is pushing all these new phones plus some higher end phones at the beginning of the year doesn't say much for the Galaxy S line. I hope it all works out but things don't look good right now. Let's see if Froyo and a GPS fix come out before the year is over. Although I think the GPS is broken across the board because the new WP7 using the same hardware has GPS issues as well. Don't think we will ever see a fix for that.

Upvote 0
^^ Buddy I will say again..only GPS doesnt make a phone. I am pretty happy with my Captivate. I am only jealous of this nexus s for its possible dual core processer and ginger bread. If my captivate can get ginger bread, I would be very happy. You went to iphone be happy there.

Dont feel bad for us, we made a good decision. I already have awesome gps in my car, i dont need one in phone. Stop ranting same thing everywhere.

Upvote 0
The more I think about this new nexus 2 phone coming out the more i think samsung used galaxy s phones as beta testers for the nexus 2. I know an lot of people will jump on it since its the next google phone, I for one will not samsung burned me once, I will wait for an dual core htc or motorola offering for my next phone

Upvote 0
it will take a lot for me to trust samsung again. unlike many on this thread, i returned my galaxy s (vibrant) on the last day i could without a penalty. i was on the fence on whether to return it or not, but decided to return it when i went online and read about all the customers samsung had screwed over with its previous phones. ask a behold II customer what they think of samsung. so happy i did.

the galaxy s has a lot more wrong with it than just the gps. it has inferior reception, bluetooth connects and reconnects repeatedly, the death grip, and so on... my wife kept her vibrant (she loved the screen, which is awesome) and i went and bought a N1, so I get to hear her complain all the time. i've also read on the forums that samsung is just bad at the software, but the hardware is good. if that were the case, the gps would have been an easy fix, the reception would be better, and the bluetooth headset wouldn't disconnect every 10 minutes - among other issues.

google may be more strict with manufacturing requirements, but i won't trust a samsung phone until it released and tested out by a few hundred thousand guinea pigs. if it gets great reviews, then, maybe, i'd get one.

i'm so disappointed google didn't stick with htc for the nexus line. htc just seems to consistently make higher quality phones.

Upvote 0
I simply don't trust Samsung anymore.
Same here, I got stack with Samsung Galaxy I-7500 for a year and that was a nightmare. Design flaws: sleep/wake button if is pressed accidentally if phone is in your pocket, proximity sensor blocked by dust so you have to blow it with air once in a wile for dialpad to work, and more..All updates got out by leaks, each next update made performance worse, Samsung support completely ignorant, and latest version of the Android is 1.6. I will stay away from Samsung Androids from now on, thought N1 was a blast.

Upvote 0
I'll admit I'm a bit of a samsung fanboy myself, all the (non)smart-phones that I've owned from Samsungs all lasted me 2-3 years at which point the screen starts to go due to a loose connector, likely from all the sliding that I tend to put the phone thru when I get bored and want to fiddle with something in my hands. Its an easy fix but I think 2-3 years justifies an upgrade. From previous experiences working at a TM authorized dealers, Motorolas were all SHIT and had the highest percentage of RMA's out of all the phones that I've sold. The good news is that Google will be the one overseeing the project. Samsung would just be Googles bitch and producing the phone, and on top of that the Nexus S will be receiving OS updates straight from none other than the big GOOG himself. I for one am looking forward to this one and would willingly be one of the guinea pigs. Just come out already damn it!

Upvote 0
I have gone through just about every single phone manufacturer in the last last few years, and my feeling with Samsung is this....They will be the top dogs in the coming year. Yes the Galaxy S line was a test run, beta is a good word that comes to mind..However, for Google to pick them over HTC is a kick down below. It was done for a reason! Samsung possess one big key element, SCREENS! Has anyone payed attention to the HTC screen shortage issues? Or even their massive hardware issues...I happen to like HTC, however I'm on the other end of the fence, it will take a lot for me to trust them again...the EVO was a roller coaster, as was the incredible. Just loads of hardware, voice quality, screen, etc issues.

Getting back to Samsung and their screens, their Super Amoled is one of, if not the best on the market. And its all theirs! Other companies had to look to them to supply screens, well now their putting them in their own phones, And making HTC, and moto sweat it out. LCD, and SLCD screens can't compete. Couple that with dual core, potentially LTE, and my God are they going to be successful in 2011. However, I'm for one a little ticked about not having Froyo yet on my Fascinate, but like a lot of my buddies on here that own a Fascinate or Galaxy S line device , I still love my phone! The next generation Nexus S/ Galaxy 2 line have me excited, and as a person who said ahhhh, never again with Samsung, I may just eat my words because their next product may be Just That Good!!!

Upvote 0
I wouldnt hold my breath about them fixing the captivate or any other galaxy s phone, they are off to the next new phone. I am disappointed in myself for giving samsung benefit of the doubt, and now i am stuck with an phone that has non functioning gps.

See, we tried to warn everybody NOT to jump on the Sammie wagon based upon what happened to us with the Behold 2...but noooooooooo!

They all yelled that Sammie wouldn't dare disappoint a world-wide audience and risk worldwide anger etc etc and blah. My argument was that Sammie didn't care, it just wants to put handsets into more hands and therefore screw a greater audience.

They also suggested to their Galaxy owners that there would not be another phone released by them to rival the Galaxy this year. Bwa-ha-ha-ha!!!

When will you learn????

And now they want to muck with the Nexus line and follow that with yet ANOTHER superphone on its heels (pre-dubbed as its flagship phone) - Basically making the Nex obsolete BEFORE it drops!!!!

Armed with what we all know now about Sammie's reputation, to purchase their product at this point, one has to have a self-hatred gene, or been dropped on the head at birth! LOL

I don't care how fancy, fast or furious - I will NEVER purchase another Sammie phone again! And I thank all you Galaxy owners for solidifying that fact. They are not to be trusted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A&NR=1

Upvote 0
^^ Buddy I will say again..only GPS doesnt make a phone. I am pretty happy with my Captivate. I am only jealous of this nexus s for its possible dual core processer and ginger bread. If my captivate can get ginger bread, I would be very happy. You went to iphone be happy there.

Dont feel bad for us, we made a good decision. I already have awesome gps in my car, i dont need one in phone. Stop ranting same thing everywhere.

Using that same argument with a car, if any non essential items that are listed on the car specs, navigation system, stereo, power doors for vans, cargo area light, climate control, remote entry, illuminated switches, illuminated vanity mirrors, map lights, remote fuel door and trunk release, if any of these doesn't work, don't complain. These items doesn't make a car.

So after buying that expensive luxury sedan with the cool satellite navigation system you realize that the navigation system is defective you just smile and tell yourself, gosh I could have bought a cheaper one without the sat-nav, but hey the Navigation system doesn't make the car.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones