• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus S & WiFi Calling on T-Mobile

Left Coast DJ

Android Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2011
Southern California
A few years ago I had a Blackberry Curve on T-Mobile with WiFi calling. And it was awesome! The Blackberry would automatically connect to any available wifi in the area (home, work, nearby Starbucks, etc.) and route all of my calls through WiFi, which were free. It was like having my personal cell tower inside my house or work. When I would walk too far from the WiFi coverage, the Blackberry would seamlessly pull in the T-Mobile tower signal without dropping the call.

Is this available on the Nexus S?

The Nexus S has a SIP application on it which CAN use Wifi. It is not UMA. There are several T-Mo phones with WiFi Calling (UMA lite). These work like your old blackberry but DO NOT do handover from the WiFi to the GSM network. Phones like the MyTouch 4g, G2 and Defy (other as well) have WiFi calling.

Upvote 0
I was under the impression this did not work on the Nexus S. UMAuser, you seem to about this. How do I use wifi calling (I don't care about the handover not working). Do I have to edit some settings on my phone to get it working or what?

You need to have a SIP account (basically a VOIP phone number). You used to be able to get them for free from Gizmo5 and SipGate, but Gizmo5 was just bought out by Google (likely for Google Voice integration), and SipGate is not currently taking new accounts.

If you have a SIP account, you go into Settings>Call Settings and down at the bottom under Internet Calling, you tap Accounts. Hit menu to add an account and input your SIP details. That's all it takes, and you're set to start making internet calls (on WiFi only unless you have a hacked ROM for 3G SIP calling).

Upvote 0
If you have a SIP account, you go into Settings>Call Settings and down at the bottom under Internet Calling, you tap Accounts. Hit menu to add an account and input your SIP details. That's all it takes, and you're set to start making internet calls (on WiFi only unless you have a hacked ROM for 3G SIP calling).

SIP only works on WiFi? It might be easier to just install the Skype app and get one of their unlimited plans. It works on 3G outside of the US and there is also a hacked version which will also works on 3G in the US.

Upvote 0
SIP only works on WiFi? It might be easier to just install the Skype app and get one of their unlimited plans. It works on 3G outside of the US and there is also a hacked version which will also works on 3G in the US.

Correct, the Nexus S' Wifi calling only works when connected to a Wifi network; however, it is possible to use it on 3G through rooting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones